R

robang

Enthusiast
Putting together a modest Home Theater.
Within budget have narrowed receiver choice down to 2.
The Yamaha HTR5860 or the Pioneer VSX-1015TXK.
Would appreciate any feedback as to the pro's/con's of each.
System will consist of:
Sony KV-34HS420 wide screen
Sony RDR-GX300 DVD Recorder/Player
Atlantic Technology's 150 HT System( 5 bookshelf -1 cntr. 2 fr. mains, 2 surr's. and a powered sub.w/3x30 watts. Spkr's rated 110w, freq. resp. 80Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB, Sensitivity 89dB all at 8ohm.
Viewing room is 14wX20L, no carpeting, drapes etc., just upholstered furniture. Ceiling height is only 7'.
Any other ideas would also be greatly appreciated.
PS. Omitted spec's. for subwf'r. if relative...Power Directed Amplified, 8" long throw, Powered mode 3x30W,Passive 70W(sub only),Freq. Resp. Active output 80Hz-21kHz,subwf'r. 30Hz-80Hz or 30Hz-120Hz, Dynamic Bass Equalization 9dB@35Hz, Input Imped.: Input 1, 2: Line level-10k-ohms(either mode), Input 3: High level-1.5k-ohms(powered mode) Input Sensitivity: Input1,2: 50mV(1W/4ohms); 250mV(30W/4ohms), Input 3: 250mV(1W/4ohms); 4.3V(30W/4ohms). Phew! I must admit I don't know what it all means and how to use it. My original system was a plain TV and a outdated Sony stereo receiver that I just used the manual to hook up for some form of surround sound. Only with the need for a new TV did I consider updating to (as stated earlier) a modest HT system. I hope that the viewers of this will be tolerant of the new guy. Thanks ever so much.

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
robang said:
Putting together a modest Home Theater.
Within budget have narrowed receiver choice down to 2.
The Yamaha HTR5860 or the Pioneer VSX-1015TXK.
Would appreciate any feedback as to the pro's/con's of each.
System will consist of:
Sony KV-34HS420 wide screen
Sony RDR-GX300 DVD Recorder/Player
Atlantic Technology's 150 HT System( 5 bookshelf -1 cntr. 2 fr. mains, 2 surr's. and a powered sub.w/3x30 watts. Spkr's rated 110w, freq. resp. 80Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB, Sensitivity 89dB all at 8ohm.
Viewing room is 14wX20L, no carpeting, drapes etc., just upholstered furniture. Ceiling height is only 7'.
Any other ideas would also be greatly appreciated.
The Pioneer, although priced relatively the same, weighs in at almost 11 lbs more than the Yammy. That indicates to me it has a larger power supply and heat sink. It will drive your speakers with less effort. Some may tell you the Pioneer will be a little harsh, especially in a "live" room. Just keep in mind any room with hard walls and floors is going to be bright.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis