Receiver in or out of cabinet? [Solved; chose "out"]

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
Just ordered the Marantz Cinema 40 and I'll have two options for where to place it.

A: Inside our cabinet (door always closed, back completely open). I would purchase an AC Infinity AIRCOM T8 for cooling.

B: On a VTI BL404-01 stand sitting between the cabinet and right speaker (see photo)

Here are some pros/cons I've come up with. Are there any that I'm missing? If this was your setup, what option would you go for an why?

Inside Pros: Since inside, when I move the cabinet to get behind it to clean, will be very easy.
Inside Cons: Cooling fans will add noise. If cooling fails, since AC Infinity right on top of receiver, that could lead to overheating quickly.

Outside Pros: No added complexities of having the cooling system. No issues with heat generation. Easier access to back if I need to clean the receiver itself or re-connect cables.
Outside Cons: Will be more difficult when wanting to clean things with the equipment in the main cabinet (will need to be careful not to move too far away so as to put strain on cables connecting that equipment to the receiver. Not as clean of a look. When sitting on our left-most chair in the room, controlling the receiver via remote may be difficult (since angle would be quite steep).

receiver_location.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've used a couple different fan setups, some noisier than others but in use not an issue from my seat generally with an open rack (but limited space above avr so still use fans)....maybe if everything goes dead quiet and you have no other hvac going on....maybe it might be noticeable. Behind doors can't think it will be much of an issue. I'd rather have cooling than not, and its easy enough to monitor a t8 I think, altho if you turn display off and the alarm fails....could boil down to aesthetics....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would put all AV components out of cabinet for sure. Just put it on the VTI open rack.

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
Thanks, all. I just ordered the VTI BLG404-01 (black glass). It's quite wide, but I will turn it so that its 23-inch length will run from front to back (otherwise too tight between the existing cabinet and main speaker). The 19-inch width is ample for the receiver.

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
The VTI unit really turned out well. I didn't install the spikes and instead attached felt so I can easily slide the entire thing when wanting to work behind it and the cabinet. Still need to do some minor tweaks to the cabling to get everything hidden.

vti_shelf.jpg

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The VTI unit really turned out well. I didn't install the spikes and instead attached felt so I could easily slide the entire thing when wanted to work behind it and the cabinet. Still need to do some minor tweaks to the cabling to get everything hidden.

View attachment 60057
I like VTI racks, I have two of them. They look nice, decent build quality and most importantly does not drain your pocketbook.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver in or out of cabinet? [Solved; chose "out"]

I chose "in."

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My amp is inside behind the door, but no back and vented sides. My Pre is in the rack on a shelf, but the door doesn't go that high so it is almost fully open. Salamander Synergy 323 rack, but the doors are only 2U high, leaving the top shelf open.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis