Receiver going to protect

M

morzuk

Audiophyte
I am on my third reciever in my new house. They keep going to "protect mode". I have checked all conections multiple times, and can't find a problem. Iv even taken the speakers apart to make sure there was not a short. I don't know what to do at this point. The two Dennon recievers make a pop then go to sleep. The Sony just shuts down. Could this be a power problem? Not enough or too much. The recievers are plugged into a surge protector. Should I try a power conditioner?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just plugging the speakers into the avr and turning it on makes the avr go poof? Or is there more to the story? Like listening levels?

If you're sure your wiring from avr to speakers is good (no damaged cables? no stray wires at either terminal?) then it would seem to point at the surge protector or wall outlet...perhaps you should check the wiring of the outlet...if you plug other electronics into the same outlet they don't go poof? Other electrical issues in the house?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am on my third reciever in my new house. They keep going to "protect mode". I have checked all conections multiple times, and can't find a problem. Iv even taken the speakers apart to make sure there was not a short. I don't know what to do at this point. The two Dennon recievers make a pop then go to sleep. The Sony just shuts down. Could this be a power problem? Not enough or too much. The recievers are plugged into a surge protector. Should I try a power conditioner?
You have left out the most important part of the story. Which Denon receiver do you have? What is your speaker set up? In other words which make and model speakers connected to what output on the receiver. I suspect your speakers are incompatible with your receiver. This is far more likely than a powering problem.

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
Can you disconnect the wires from the speakers and power on the receiver without issue? If that works, turn the receiver off and connect the right speaker and power back on. If that works, disconnect the right speaker and connect the left and power on. If that works, then connect both speakers and see what happens.

Are you just hooking up one left and one right to each speaker or are you bi-wiring or bi-amping?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis