Receiver for old pair bose 901

C

clayc

Audiophyte
Hello
My name is Clay
This is the first time I have posted here
I have an old pair ( series 5) Bose 901 speakers , my receiver which was a reference made by quadraflex ( 30 years ago) finally died
What would be a good receiver for those speakers, i don't really need all the functions for surround sound for tv as I don't watch much tv
Just a good quality high power receiver that I can attach a CD player and lp player to
I must say I am partial to Yamaha , I am a highly trained piano player and they make excellent pianos as well as excellent guitars
My price range is around 500 dollars but I can go higher if necessary
It's been so long since I purchased electronics I haven't kept up
Thanks in advance
Clay

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I like Yamaha, too. They still make both stereo integrated amps and receivers. The 901s are not terribly efficient, so make sure your replacement has at least as much power as your old Quadraflex.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You need either a tape loop (tape monitor function) or pre-outs and main amp inputs.
This one has the tape loop:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrs700bl/yamaha-r-s700-2-ch-x-100-watts-natural-sound-stereo-receiver-bose-901-comp/1.html

It is refurbished, but I have had great success with their refurbished gear. I think the important thing when buying a refurb is knowing it was reconditioned by Yamaha who is going to have a well developed procedure for evaluation and verifying corrections.

You can get one of these Yamaha's new from Newegg for $450 shipped if you are too worried about the refurbs.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9PB5B06674&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Receivers-_-9SIA9PB5B06674&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyvXPBRD-ARIsAIeQeoGnKb648qGNWCfidpNlBeAlPCmTfakt7xzwwszS3X2d25NNvgQkRDgaAsxYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Kurt makes a good point – I forgot about the 901’s outboard equalizer. If you’re using it, you’ll definitely need a receiver with a tape loop, or one with jacks for preamp out / amp input.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

C

clayc

Audiophyte
Thank you for the advice
I read good reviews on this
- it will be the one I chose

I am curious
Are my old 901 speakers out dated?
Are newer speakers much better?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you for the advice

I am curious
They are a unique design, those 901's. Many folk (myself included) believe Bose was far better at marketing than sound quality. I think you would be VERY surprised at what newer speakers sound like as compared to those.

C

clayc

Audiophyte
Thanks
Next Christmas I may be looking at speakers
The pest control guy that use to take care of my house was a big hi fi expert
We talked one time about speakers and he said 901 were good but there are couple others better
He named klipsh and Polk
He said klipsh top speaker would chew up 901

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Get out and audition some! If you're lucky (like me) and live in a populated area that still has some audio shops, it would be important to at least get a brief listen to make sure you're not averse to overly bright tweeters, muddy bass or flat midrange. Better audio dealers with allow (or encourage, as my dealer does) you to take a pair home and try them in your own space.

We all have brands and sound profiles we prefer. As it is, your pest control guy named two brands I'm not fond of, at least not until you get to their true top-of-the-line offerings.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I had the chance to listen to 901s a few times back in the 70s, they were fun. What's more outdated is the 901's equalizer and gear that works with it these days as was mentioned. I think you can do much better for speakers, though, and from quite a few brands....altho neither Klipsch or Polk would be at the top of my list particularly.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I always liked the Bose 901's (and it is probably that the competition has gotten better), but my impressions is that the new 901's are not as good as the old ones. Maybe it is the plastic and light weight, but I feel they have cost-cut on the 901's in ways that impact the sound quality.
I don't know where your series 5 fall in the spectrum of "modernization.

Edit: I read that they were originally a sealed design and starting with the series 3, they ported the 901's which forfeited much of the bottom octave but greatly reduced the need for high wattage. That fits my experience as I remember the 901's I listened to in HS (1975-6) having really nice bass and when I visited a Bose Store a couple of decades later they were a different animal.

Regardless, the most obvious thing (IMHO) about the Bose 901's is they have always had the full soundstage of an omnidirectional speaker. This makes non-directional sounds such as the strings of a symphony sound pretty realistic. Conversely, a trumpet (which is highly directional due to the bell/horn) will never sound quite right.
For me, this is neither good nor bad, just a trade-off to recognize. In this context, if I listened only to trumpet, 901's would suck and if I listened only to cello, the 901's would rock!

The next most obvious thing about the 901's is poor treble extension. Those 4" full range drivers just can't compete with a dedicated tweeter. A common modification of the 901's was to add a "super tweeter". The Radio Shack Realistic super tweeter was a popular model for this, but, unfortunately it was more than a simple matter of "plug and play".

And third was the poor bass response (after series 3). In today's world adding a subwoofer is the most obvious way to deal with this.

In a Bose store, you will notice the music they select to play on the 901's (and probably throughout the store) is mostly midrange with very little content at either the high or low frequencies.
The 901's do okay on cymbals, but not if you had the real thing nearby. A triangle will further reveal their lacking and symphonic chimes will be severely lacking in overtones:
If you have a decent set of headphones, compare what you hear (starting at 7 seconds) on them to what you hear over the 901's using the link below:

Understand this is an extremely demanding sound for a tweeter to really get right, so many good speakers will not compete with good headphones, but your 901's will be obviously poor at it.

When the time comes, I would recommend doing a trial with the SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers. SVS gives you 45 days in-home trial with free return shipping if you decide not to keep them.
https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-bookshelf

Being able to listen to them in your home for weeks is really ideal for testing speakers. In your situation, you may have a hard time dealing with the directional sound of a typical speaker after having listened to a reflective speaker for so long. If you aren't willing to give up the reflective sound, but recognize the lack of treble, I would recommend you look for Mirage Omni speaker on Craigslist or ebay. There are several different models, but this link will give you a basic orientation to their design:
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/mirage-omni-250-surround-speaker-system-measurements

Also check the third page of the above link for a discussion of the merits of omni-directional sound!

There are probably some omini directional speakers currently being produced, but I do not know what they are.

Last edited:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Basic shortcoming of the 901s' is their lack of moving air @ low frequencies. Simple physics a 5" driver (even with many more) will not be as efficient as a 10" or 12" woofer in outputting low frequencies below 100Hz.. The Bose EQ box added a 15dB LF bump through it may add some audible upper bass sounds, but it would typically overload and drive the amplifier into high distortion. Fats foward to now.. Since Dolby does not permit an AVR to have either a processor loop or tape monitor circuit since it corrupts the input level to the Dolby decoder the only way to run 901s' is with an AVR is to use an external power amplifier connected to the L/R pre-outs.

Just my $0.02... ;)

C

clayc

Audiophyte
Yes
I will do just that
Just curious , what speakers do you use?
Thanks

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Yes
I will do just that
Just curious , what speakers do you use?
Thanks
I have KEF R500 mains, R200c center and R100 surrounds with an SVS SB2000 subwoofer for a 5.1 channel system in a 13.5' x 19' x 8' sized room. I'm very happy!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thank you for the advice

I am curious
Yes, and yes.

The multi-driver reflective concept of the 901 was never really excepted as a true hifi speaker. Some shops carried them because they were Bose dealers and this was their flagship speaker. IIRC room placement was particularly important with those speakers.

When funds allow, I would look to upgrade those...I think you could spend a $1 or $2k on a new pair and experience a big upgrade in SQ....really like the SVS mentioned earlier if you want to stay with OEM speakers.

C

clayc

Audiophyte
Hello sir
I think I'm screwed
I need some professional advice
I'll try to make a long story short
A while back I posted that I need a receiver compatable for old pair bose 901's
A fine gentleman
Posted two links for a Yamaha r- s700 from ( newegg I believe)
One was for a new Yamaha and one was for a refurbished Yamaha
I ( my wife) bought the new one for me for Xmas
Well quite some time passed and we didn't receive it
Well Yamaha finally contacted us and it was returned by ups as damaged
It had a dent and scratches
They said that was last one but would take 100 dollars off if I still wanted it
I wasn't interested
So today I tried to buy the refurbished Yamaha from newegg - it's not available
It appears they don't make receivers with tape moniter function anymore
Not sure what to do
I
Believe they still sell new 901 s
What receiver do
People buy?
I did some research and HARMON kardon made two models 3340 and 3390 ( if memory is correct) that is compatable , but they are old - not sure I wanna go that route
Thanks in advance
I had no idea this would be so difficult
Clay

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thank you
That looks like a good receiver
I'm going to read up on that
I must be honest, I've never heard of that name
Do they make a quality product in your opinion
You've done well Clay.

Outlaw Audio makes very good products. Many of their higher end amps are made here in the US....I have 3 of their m2200 mono blocks...very pleased.

The 2160 is an old school style receiver with some modern touches...the amp section would rival many 2 ch power amps. I was considering the older model of this to power my zone 2 & 3, but the connectivity to the pre/pro made it a lot more challenging than I was willing to deal.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis