S

spiffnme2

Audiophyte
I'm building a HTPC and need a receiver to power it.

All video inputs will be run directly into my tv. I don't really need any sort of video switching/up rezing.

What will be running through the receiver is the following...

-6 channels analog out of sound card (using Power DVD Ultra for DVD/Blu-Ray playback)
-Time Warner DVR box
-PS2 - via optical output
-Denon DVD-2900 (for SACD and DVD-A playback)

Unless I'm missing something, all I really need the reciever for is audio switching of the above mentioned items, FM/AM (though a minor point), and obviously power amplification. I don't even need a remote, as I'll be using the Harmony 880.

Soo...this is a long winded way of putting these two proposals up to you guys:

Used Denon AVR-5800
New Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
New Denon AVR-3806

From what I've read the 5800 is supposed to be the one time be all end all of all-in-one receivers. It's obviously a bit dated now, and doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles, but as it's use will be limited, perhaps it's a good idea. ??? Also, if I'm not mistaken, it has not one, but two sets of 7 channel analog inputs, making hooking up the sound cards analog channels AND the DVD-2900's a breeze.

On the other hand, I've heard lots of great things about the new batch of receivers, including the Denon 3806 and Pioneer 84TXSi. And it'd be a new unit, not used.

Money-wise they're all reasonably in the same range.

What say you good people?

S

spiffnme2

Audiophyte
hrrm...

I've posted this on two different message boards and have gotten the same response on both....bupkis.

No thoughts at all?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Here's a problem I see

spiffnme2 (edited) said:
What will be running through the receiver is the following...

-6 channels analog out of sound card (using Power DVD Ultra for DVD/Blu-Ray playback)
-Denon DVD-2900 (for SACD and DVD-A playback)
Both of these require six analog inputs on the back of your receiver. Now, there is a plethors of receivers that have one set of analog inputs, but I can't think of any that have the two sets you need.

Since you seem to have found one, jump on it while you can.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Audio connections

Since you are have a high end HTPC for all your video playback, why would you use a seperate Denon DVD player? The analog outs on the Denon DVD player are only necessary for SACD and DVD-A playback. Can your HTPC play these formats? You can also send this info digitally over the Denon Link to some of their receivers.

The audio power and features of your receiver should be determined by the speakers you will be driving, the size of your room, and your listening preferences.

S

spiffnme2

Audiophyte
I already own the DVD-2900. Once I have the HTPC, it's only use would be for SACD playback. I believe the HTPC will be able to playback DVD-A. If it could also playback SACD, I'd sell the 2900 to help pay for all of this. :)

re: analog inputs, could I not use an RCA Y splitter (1 male to 2 female) if the receiver I end up with only has one set of multi-channel analog inputs?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
maybe. Let's go through the basics here.

Generally, "Y" adapters (not splitters) are used to split one output to two inputs, not to combine two outputs into one input. Strange things can happen when people try this. Here's some possibilities

1) You'll need six of them to start with

2) Both source units will be plugged in at the same time, thereby electrically visible to each other and the target unit at all times.

Now, even if one is off, it will still present a "load" to the other unit andthe tarrget unit, which may or may not affect performance.

It may or may not work.

It may or may not cause damage the other unit.

It may or may not cause damage to iteslf.

It may or may not cause damage to the target unit.

But, hey, it's worth a try. Waddaya got to lose? "Y" adapters are cheap.

FWIW, I did a quick google for a 5.1 switch box, which would be the logical solution, and came up with nada.

Last edited:
S

spiffnme2

Audiophyte
It may or may not cause damage the other unit.

It may or may not cause damage to iteslf.

It may or may not cause damage to the target unit.

But, hey, it's worth a try. Waddaya got to lose?

Waddooai got to lose? I think you answer that yourself. Possibly my HTPC and/or receiver???

If there's a risk of damage using the Y splitter, then it seems the AVR-5800 is pretty much my only option.

S

spiffnme2

Audiophyte
OK...well it's a done deal. I just bought a Denon AVR-5800. I also placed the order for all the final pieces of the HTPC. With any luck, I'll be building the machine next week! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis