Receiver decision...

M

Mr Sin

Audiophyte
Hey everyone,

I just recently ordered a set of SVS SCS-01 Deluxe 5.0 speakers with a PB12-NSD sub (this should sound pretty good). Anyways, I was offered an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver with them for $500 (Canadian), is this a decent receiver for the money or should I upgrade to something else?
My selection has been narrowed down to:

1) Yamaha HTR-6190 (RV-X1800 in the USA)

2) Onkyo TX-SR805 (if still available)

3) Denon AVR-2809

In that order of my possible selection; I am really interested in the Yamaha for all the extra digital inputs for possible future add ons. I am also fairly certain that the Onkyo has a seperate bass management function that would come in handy with that sweet 12" sub. Should I hold off on the 606 and get one of these, or will it really make any difference in sound? I will be hooking up my xbox 360 and htpc (auzentech x-fi sound card) for starters, looking at a blu-ray burner in the near future also. If anyone owns, auditioned or reviewed any of these receivers I would really appreciate your input.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
For better or worse (mebbe worse) I often look at it from an amp perspective. That being said, the 606 does not have preouts. The 805 will probably have the beefiest amp. But the question is if you even really would benefit from one.

Otherwise, people enjoy Denon for their fine reputation and general reliability, if cryptic manuals due to poor translations from Japanese. Yamaha has plenty of fans here and elsewhere, although speaker/sub x-over mgmt is typically more limited. However, I doubt you need multiple x-over points/selections with your set.

FWIW, I use a refurbed 805 as a pre. There weren't many choices at the time of my purchase, and it was cheap as anything else that had hi def audio support, preouts, and matrixing capabilities at the time.

Flip a coin. :D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Any of those receivers should be fine unless you really, really want to drive these speakers hard. They are toward the low end of the sensitivity scale, but even the 606 should drive them well to near-insane levels.

The decision very well may come down to what you want to do, budget wise. The other receivers you listed are a good deal more money in Canada than the price you have for the 606. BTW, you can get the Yamaha 1800 and 3800 here from authorized dealers. The 6190 is the big box store version. Deals can be had on these Yamahas since they have been superceded by the 1900 and 3900. I don't think the new models have come to Canada just yet but I'm sure the dealers will want to move the old stock before the new stock arrives.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
The Yamaha 1800 has 9 lbs on the Denon 2809. It also looks to be selling at a much lower price than the Denon. Yamaha 1800, not HTR, gets the nod from your new list from me.

In this case, the bass management will only be an issue with a dvd-a/sacd player. If planning on a universal dvd player for hi rez music, just be sure the player has adequate b/m. You will be set.

I don't know how the whole shipping to Canada duties works, but you just may end-up with a better deal on the Yamaha from over here.

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
The 606 looks like a major bang for the buck for your application. By the time you would want to upgrade your speakers, I am certain you would also be ready to upgrade your receiver. The point is, the 606 will provide all you need for now. Pre-outs are a must for many of us, but the 606 has enough power for your speakers. Just be sure the 606 offers proper b/m for your needs.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The best price I've seen on the 6190 and the Denon 988 is $999 Canadian. The others listed here I think are well over $1K. I've looked into importing electronics and shipping, duty, broker fees and taxes really cut deeply into the value equation, never mind that you lose your warranty. it may be worthwhile if you are going to spend more than a week vacationing in the States and bringing it back yourself to declare your annual personal exemption.

All things considered, the 606 is looking like the affordable option here.

M

Mr Sin

Audiophyte
I went with the 606 for the bang for my buck factor, for $500 and 2 year warranty if it does overheat at least there's a little coverage. Plus Sonic Boom Audio threw in a 5m sub cable, avia dvd, and t shirt, lol. :D
Now the waiting game for my SVS speakers, good thing I bought them before our dollar took another plunge (in Canada), basically paid less than the listed US price for the SCS-01(M) Deluxe + PB12-NSD combo. Sonic Boom Audio comes highly recommended from me if you're buying in Canada.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis