D

dasquared

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Gotta decide...Denon 3803, Yamaha (likely the RXV2300), Sony STRDA4ES (or 5ES), or Marantz SR 7300. &nbsp;It will be paired with a Yamaha DVDC920, A Kenwood (forgot model) CD changer, An XBOX (don't laugh, &nbsp;I love it), A technics Dual Tape Deck, &nbsp;and Monitor Audio Bronze or Silver series speakers. Also any input on the Kenwood Sovereign series of receivers, &nbsp;as I have recently looked into them. &nbsp;It will be used for about 60-70% video sound, the rest music (digital cable, &nbsp;CD's, DVD-A's, etc.)
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
dasquared : <font color='#000000'>Gotta decide...Denon 3803, Yamaha (likely the RXV2300), Sony STRDA4ES (or 5ES), or Marantz SR 7300. &nbsp;It will be paired with a Yamaha DVDC920, A Kenwood (forgot model) CD changer, An XBOX (don't laugh, &nbsp;I love it), A technics Dual Tape Deck, &nbsp;and Monitor Audio Bronze or Silver series speakers. Also any input on the Kenwood Sovereign series of receivers, &nbsp;as I have recently looked into them. &nbsp;It will be used for about 60-70% video sound, the rest music (digital cable, &nbsp;CD's, DVD-A's, etc.)
</font>
<font color='#000000'>I would lean towards the Yamaha. Depends on your priorities. For music and sound with properly matched speakers the Yamaha is far superior sonicaly but the Denon has better tuner section specially if you live in an area where reception is difficult. The SONY too has a good tuner section but sonicaly cant' say much about it.

Let your ears decide in the end. Audition them with various speakers and see what you like.</font>

<font color='#000000'>My only comment is that NO ONE should laught at having an XBox on the living room!

I just played Unreal Tournament on my HTPC the other night (in surround sound) - way cool!</font>

D

duff

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I agree.  My xbox is also my only DVD player right now.  

Until universal DVDA/SACD DVD players come out with firewire (and they get cheap).  

Of course by the time that happens, I'll be holding out for something else instead. &nbsp;
</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I listened to a few of the units in your list and bought the Denon 3803. I've had it for a few months now and am completely satisfied with it.

The 3803 manual leaves a lot to be desired. However, after a week of fiddling with the settings I figured it out. While researching I read two reviews that said the Denon was “musically” inferior but my ears say otherwise.

When auditioning a Denon (or any AV receiver) with a music source selected be sure to configure the receiver to pure direct mode. Only in pure direct mode will the receiver be able to flex is musical muscles.</font>

E

elkano

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Dasquared,

I tried both Yamaha and Denon using Infinity speakers (I believe the Kappa series) and my own CD's at a nice dealership in San Juan. &nbsp;Chose Yamaha, my ears told me so. &nbsp;DSP's are far better than Denon, it even has a graphic equalizer for the center channel. &nbsp;The 6-channel stereo mode is just astonishing and powerful when listening to good new age music. &nbsp;The remote has learning mode and controls different sources at the same time with the receiver engaged.

But still your ears should decide.

elkano</font>

D

dasquared

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>The other speaker set I was considering was the Paradigm Monitor 5 series. &nbsp;Anyone have experience with these or the Monitor Bronze/Silver series?</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
elkano : <font color='#000000'>Dasquared,

I tried both Yamaha and Denon using Infinity speakers (I believe the Kappa series) and my own CD's at a nice dealership in San Juan. &nbsp;Chose Yamaha, my ears told me so. &nbsp;DSP's are far better than Denon, it even has a graphic equalizer for the center channel. &nbsp;The 6-channel stereo mode is just astonishing and powerful when listening to good new age music. &nbsp;The remote has learning mode and controls different sources at the same time with the receiver engaged.

But still your ears should decide.

elkano</font>
<font color='#000000'>Check out the Entertainment 5 chanel stereo mode in case you need to impress your friends and fill the room with sound.

Have you added a sub yet?</font>

D

dasquared

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I still haven't pulled the trigger...Gotta do that this weekend. I will be getting a sub (Paradigm PS 1000 for the paradigm set, &nbsp;or the Monitor Audio one to match the Bronze/silver series)...I will be filling a romm roughly 19 by 23, &nbsp;with 10 foot ceilings. &nbsp;The TV/Center will be in the middle of one of the 23 foot walls.</font>

G

giveemenoughrope

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>If you haven't had a chance to see/hear the Sony STR-DA4ES in the flesh, I would strongly urge you to delay your decision until you do so. Take this with a grain of salt as I am an avid fan of Sony's &quot;ES&quot; line, and their DAT products. The 4ES is built like a tank,( approx. 45 lbs.), is quite handsome, and is loaded with a dizzying array of adjustments to tailor the sound to your liking. Speaker EQs, soundfield EQ's, room acoustics, subwoofer output level, 2 sets of multi-channel analog inputs,Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES, DPL II, &nbsp;a neat remote control, I could go on and on... Being a DAT head and a stand alone CD burner type, I would have appreciated more digital ins/outs, both optical and coax. But there had to be some sacrifices on the back panel's real estate, so I guess this was the compromise. What sealed the deal for me was the cost. I would have gladly paid in excess of $1,000 for this beauty, but you can get this from a reputable Sony retailer online (J&amp;R Music World are good people, and an authorized Sony Internet/ES dealer) for around $640.00 delivered. From my tainted perspective, it is hard to see how you could go wrong with this receiver. &nbsp;HTH, G.E.E.R.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
giveemenoughrope : If you haven't had a chance to see/hear the Sony STR-DA4ES in the flesh, I would strongly urge you to delay your decision until you do so. Take this with a grain of salt as I am an avid fan of Sony's &quot;ES&quot; line, and their DAT products. The 4ES is built like a tank,( approx. 45 lbs.), is quite handsome, and is loaded with a dizzying array of adjustments to tailor the sound to your liking. Speaker EQs, soundfield EQ's, room acoustics, subwoofer output level, 2 sets of multi-channel analog inputs,Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES, DPL II, &nbsp;a neat remote control, I could go on and on... Being a DAT head and a stand alone CD burner type, I would have appreciated more digital ins/outs, both optical and coax. But there had to be some sacrifices on the back panel's real estate, so I guess this was the compromise. What sealed the deal for me was the cost. I would have gladly paid in excess of $1,000 for this beauty, but you can get this from a reputable Sony retailer online (J&amp;R Music World are good people, and an authorized Sony Internet/ES dealer) for around $640.00 delivered. From my tainted perspective, it is hard to see how you could go wrong with this receiver. &nbsp;HTH, G.E.E.R.
I must say that this is a very good amp and the construction is on the lines of Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo and Marantz and unlike previous SONY 'Legato Linear' this one's sound has some character. Lots of highs with articulated mids and tight bass.

At this price it is a deal and it is well worth auditioning. Try them with Klipsch, KEF, Canton or Camber, Paradigm and you won't be dissapointed.</font>

D

dasquared

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I had originally considered this Sony, &nbsp;but was a bit put off by the number of ins/outs. While I do not have enough components to fill, &nbsp;I intend to be purchasing a number of other items to fill out my cabinet. I would hate to end up limiting what I get because of the receiver. &nbsp;Someone just recommended the Kenwood Sovereign series to me. &nbsp;I have 90 days from delivery (I ordered the Denon 3803, should be in th or fri) to try out. &nbsp;I would love to compare in my room, &nbsp;but can probably only afford 1, &nbsp;maybe 2 other receivers that I could front up[ some cash temporarily to test. &nbsp;Gimme your top suggestion, as well as an alternate please...

(I'm pretty #### demanding , aren't I?)</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis