Receiver capable of two simultaneous programs

H

haoreilly

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Greetings.  I am looking to purchase a new receiver to serve as the audio console for a house (family of 5).  I have in my head that I want one capable of playing to different programs simultaneously on the &quot;A&quot; and &quot;B&quot; channel sets.  (For example, CD playing on kitchen speakers while radio station is playing in living room).

Does such an animal exist?  Can I get there for less than $1K?
Any reason I should shy away from this idea?

Thanks in advance for any input.

-Hugh</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>hi,
They do exist and less than 1K but they are AV receivers not audio only receiver.

The new HK AVR325/525 do exactly what you want. YOu can have both 5.1 set up in the main and stereo setup in another room with two totally independent sources running simultaneously. In the second room, you just need two speakers w/o requirement of an additional amp.
I believe the Denon 3802/3803 allow you to do this but i didn't check the manual carefully. (maybe 28xx too)
Sony ES receivers, new yamaha 6.1 receivers also allow you to do this but you have to sacrifice the center channel

go to HK website and read the manuals.
Hope this helps.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Clarification:

Only the Sony 5ES (no longer available in the US) is capable of doing this. The 3ES, 4ES, and 7ES have 2nd zone outputs, and the 7ES also has a 3rd zone output, but all are line-level only (with volume control), not amplified.

With the 5ES, you will sacrifice the centre channel in addition to the surround back (it uses 2 amp channels for the 3rd zone, leaving only 4 for the main room).</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis