Receiver Block and emitters

P

poweragent

Enthusiast
I had my home entertainment system professionally wired and all components are rack-mounted and located in an AV Closet. I control the equipment with an IR Target stuck on the frame of my flat panel TV which transmits the IR Signal back to the AV closet via a Balun - CAT6 - Balun to an EPISODE IR 1X4 emitter receiver box. Then I added another piece of equipment but I needed an extra emitter but the block only had 4 emitter outputs. So my question is this: I have an unused Episode IR 1X4 block; is it possible to daisy-chain it with the existing Episode IR 1X4 block?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I've never done this before, but I would think that you could take the signal and ground and jumper them from one block to the other to get additional outputs if you need to.

If that doesn't work...
Another option is to take two IR emitters and put them on a single output port. They actually sell IR emitters with two and even three heads on a single cable.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You can use a mono 3.5mm splitter- you aren't trying to connect so many additional emitters that it will become a problem for the IR system. In fact, Vanco sells a one in/four out splitter for this application.

P

poweragent

Enthusiast
I've never done this before, but I would think that you could take the signal and ground and jumper them from one block to the other to get additional outputs if you need to.

If that doesn't work...
Another option is to take two IR emitters and put them on a single output port. They actually sell IR emitters with two and even three heads on a single cable.
Yeah I tried that but when I plug in a 2/1 emitter the emitters become weak and both units that I attach them to wont work. but if I plug a single Emitter unit it works fine. I also took one emitter out and jumped to another "daisy chaining" and when I plug in 1 emitter it works strong and well but if I jack in another emitter they both are too weak to allow it to be controlled by a remote.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you've used a true dual headed IR emitter, like the one I linked, then you should play with the extra box. If not, you may still want to pick one up and give it a try.

The 3.5mm splitter listed above won't work as that's a stereo unit and IR emitters are mono.

I've certainly just put two emitters together with good results, but I've also had the same issue you have had. It makes a significant difference to use the two headed emitter because it's actually designed to work properly out of the box. Cheap emitters have LED diodes which can suck power incorrectly. Xantech dual headed models are the gold standard in the industry (for a reason). Yes, I've probably used half a dozen different brands, I always go back to Xantech, and if you ask around, it is often Xantech which is recommended.

Of course, you can just swap your IR kit out with a Xantech unit if nothing ends up working for you. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis