Receiver as pre-amp for tube integrated amp?

M

murz

Audiophyte
Hello,

About two years ago, I put my Jolida 102B 2-ch tube integrated on the side to move into the world of multichannel audio with a H/K AVR125. I'm using a Denon DVD2200 for SACD/DVD playback and, for the most part, have been happy with the sound, although it's 2-channel is not as pleasing to me as the sound I used to get out of the Jolida.

I'm trying to come up with a way to integrate the Jolida back into the setup, and the best I can think of is to use pre-outs on the receiver for the L/R fronts, and let the receiver handle the other 3.1 channels (RL, RR, sub). The only problem is, the AVR125 doesn't have any pre-outs...

Should I drop another $500 on a new H/K AVR235 (maybe a little less if they take the 125 in trade)? Would it create anything wierd to have my front channels powered by the tubes, and everything else solid state? For the most part, I listen to my SACD in 2-ch anyway. I place more importance on music playback, although I do use the system for HT too. I listen mostly to jazz - the hardest rock I get to is something like Dave Matthews Band.

My system is:
Aura Sound LST-837D three-way floor standing mains
Pioneer center channel and surrounds
Denon DVD2200 SACD/DVD-A
H/K AVR125
LAT Monarch interconnects and Renaissance speaker cable
Athena P1 sub

Thanks for any feedback...

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
I run tubes for the tweeters on my biamped mains. This is part of a 5.1 HT system as well.

Rather than buy another reciever for the system, I would consider a budget preamp like the Outlaw.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
There is no problem with using a tube in conjunction with electronic equipment. Been done for years, and usually does very well. And in your case, you will be using the receiver for the surround stuff, so it will be even less of an issue if there is a remarkable sound difference.

M

murz

Audiophyte
Az B said:
I run tubes for the tweeters on my biamped mains. This is part of a 5.1 HT system as well.

Rather than buy another reciever for the system, I would consider a budget preamp like the Outlaw.
I apologize if I'm being dense, but I'm not sure how I would integrate the Outlaw into the setup. The Jolida would run my two main speakers, but I'd still need a receiver for my other 3.1 channels. Unless I'm misunderstanding the role of the Outlaw, but it appears just a pre-amp.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
A dedicated preamp would not solve the problem, it would take a receiver with preamp outputs to allow you to hook up the Tube Amp to power the front speakers.

S

SQ Kid

Audioholic Intern
check out ebay. i lucked out and got a yamaha htr-5560 for $150. its a 6.1 reciever and has preouts for all the channels. look into denon, yamaha, onkyo, sony es stuff on there. then check out the more technical stuff through the company websites. i'm sure you can find something used, maybe a year or so old, with all the bells and whistles for a nice price.

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
murz said:
I apologize if I'm being dense, but I'm not sure how I would integrate the Outlaw into the setup. The Jolida would run my two main speakers, but I'd still need a receiver for my other 3.1 channels. Unless I'm misunderstanding the role of the Outlaw, but it appears just a pre-amp.
Sorry for being unclear. I meant integrating a preamp and the other external amps as well. Many preamps have a 2 channel direct mode as well, which would help quite a bit for a setup like yours.

It would be more expensive, obviously, but it might be worth it in the long run.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis