receiver and upconversion help !!

T

terrance

Audiophyte
First timer, I hope this not a redundant question. I'm slowly putting together a HT. 50" plasma is in place and I'm now looking to complete the system with a solid A/V Receiver to be the heart of the system. I going to give HTD Middies w/ a level 2 sub upgrade a try for the speakers and the receivers I'm considering are the Denon AVR-2805, Onkyo TXSR602 of the Onkyo TXSR701. The 602 is the least expensive of the bunch, but does not have Video up conversion, is this an important feature thats worth an extra 150.00 +-? In long run is it worth stepping up to the better receivers? I'll be running HD cable, DVD, VCR, XBox and IPod through the receiver. Any thoughts???

U

Unregistered

Video upconversion is very convenient as it allows you to use a single connection to the tv and never have to switch inputs on the tv. Audio follows video so by switching inputs on the receiver, the picture and sound change together.

Some will argue that it is always better to connect video devices directly to the display and you can always program macros on a remote to change the tv input at the same time that you change the receiver source, but I have never noticed any picture degradation and far prefer the convenience.

The 702 does have video upconversion as well as the ability to transcode from optical to coaxial and vice-versa (ie if you hook your cd player up using digital coax and your cd-recorder using optical, you can still record to it). I have always bought Onkyo and will stick with them, but if the 702 is too much, then get the Denon. The 701 does not have video upconversion.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
video upconversion

Please note that video upconversion does not improve the signal. It simply gives the convenience of using a single connection to the TV. If your TV is short on inputs, then it may be very useful.

The other point on your choice of recievers is the higher models probably have a better amplifier section and a higher watt output. In most cases, higher watts (within a single brand) will produce smoother sound, even at lower levels. Check the THD (total harmonic distortion). Try to make sure you compare a apples to apples (ie .09 % at 8 ohms). If there is a significant difference between the two models, it's probably worth the additional money. By significant, I certainly wouldn;t take anything more than 1 % THD. Once you get there, there's a relative fall-off in improvement with a matching increase in price.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I recently purchased the Denon 3805 and am using it to switch both HD and DVD with no problems. I was concerned like you about picture degradation but was pleasantly surprised that I could not tell any difference. As mentioned in the post form Guest it is much more convenient switching video using the receiver and the WAF is very high. My wife is much happier with the new setup. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis