Receiver & Amp Recommendations

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I'm rethinking my Yamaha RXA-800 purchase; I originally replaced my Onkyo HT-RC180 because it didn't fit in the new synergy rack. I'm disappointed by the HD Tuner in the Yamaha which is one of the main reasons why I went with it (and the local half of price). The Onkyo hasn't sold, and I can still return the yamaha.

So I'm looking for suggestions.

This is for the family room. 16' x 18' with sloped ceiling 8' to 16' and open to probably another 400 sq ft of living space. Acoustics / setup are a compromise so looking for good bang for the buck.

Other equipment -
Infinity Primus 362/351/162
Pair Anarchy Tapped Horns still to be built
Panasonic dmp-bdt310 Blu-ray

1. I need amplification for the Anarchys. 75 - 125 w/ch is the suggested power. If I go for a beefier AVR receiver I might get away with powering the Anarchys with it. I also might be able to get a decent stereo receiver to power them and get a tuner that works for free. Otherwise looking for an external amp.

2. For Receiver Keep the Yamaha and get a tuner?
Keep the Onkyo and get the extended back panel?
Get something else? Marantz 6005?

Thanks for any suggestions

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I don't really think tuners in any modern receivers are worth a hoot, but I could be wrong and there could always be exceptions. They are merely afterthouhts in the design process.

Plus, I'm hearing reports that "HD" tuners aren't all they are cracked up to be. Poorer reception than analog stations seems to be common.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Id go grab a HDRadio tuner & be done with it. Im not that impressed with HDRadio. I have it in my home system & in my work van which im in a lot. Half of the time I cant tell if im listening in standard or "HD". But if its important to you then definately get a seperate tuner for it this way you know your getting the most stations & the strongest signal. Thats what id do!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis