Receiver Advice for SVS Ultra Tower System

R

Roxiehalo

Audiophyte
Hi,
Looking for some advice on an appropriate receiver to power the SVS Ultra Tower System. I've done a bit of research, but I'm fairly new to this. I have a 5.1 system that was just a super cheap Onkyo package from several years ago, so I'm just kinda looking to replace everything (transition to the bedroom most likely). My end goal is to upgrade over a few years to end up with a 7.1.4 system, so I'd like some headroom in whatever I get or I wouldn't be opposed to buying an external amp to power the towers further down the road. I did buy a SVS PB-2000 about a year ago, which is what opened my eyes to the kind of sound I was missing with my current setup. I was looking at Denon avr-x4500h (knowing I'd need an amp later)/x6500h, but these were just based on perceived value/quality and seemed like they'd be able to handle a decent volume level. Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Usually comes down to Yamaha 2080-3080, Marantz 6013-7013, Denon 4500-6500, or Anthem 720. :D

If you’ve had great success with a particular brand, then probably stick to it.

Some people get excellent results with Marantz and Denon Audyssey XT32 like @sven1olaf and @PENG.

Some get excellent results with Yamaha YPAO + PEQ like our leader Gene.

Some get excellent results with Anthem ARC.

If you don’t care for any kind of auto room EQ, then it doesn’t matter.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Usually comes down to Yamaha 2080-3080, Marantz 6013-7013, Denon 4500-6500, or Anthem 720. :D

If you’ve had great success with a particular brand, then probably stick to it.

Some people get excellent results with Marantz and Denon Audyssey XT32 like @sven1olaf and @PENG.

Some get excellent results with Yamaha YPAO + PEQ like our leader Gene.

Some get excellent results with Anthem ARC.

If you don’t care for any kind of auto room EQ, then it doesn’t matter.
Yup, can confirm...Audyssey xt32 is a very nice start for room correction.

Just got a Marantz sr7013 to replace my old sr5007, and am nothing but impressed with the new AVR in general.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Depending on how eager you are... the last set of Marantz AVRs went on sale last summer, mid-late July. I bought my SR6012 for 900 (down from 1600?). Less than the new cost of the 5012 I originally budgeted for.

Can't speak to the possible refresh schedule for any of these companies and what sales or closeout pricing may be seen... but a little patience may be a good thing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Our member Pogre had a set of the ultras with a Marantz 6012 (I think that's correct) and added a Monolith 7ch amp and basically said he could have been quite happy with the avr alone. So start with an avr alone, make sure it has pre-outs, and see if you need additional amplification for your use....

R

Roxiehalo

Audiophyte
Thanks all. Moving at the end of summer, so I have a bit to watch prices. I'll check the rest of those suggestions out. Don't really have a preference. Just want something of a decent quality with the best bang for the buck that will work well with that system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis