Reason I don't (sometimes) recommend integrated amps with build in DAC even just for 2 Ch stereo

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's just one obvious reason:

NEOHIPO DC10 Stereo DAC Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

For <$50, you get real "hifi" specs that puts many $500 (or more, even much more.. think Yamaha's A-S701, A-S801, other others) integrated amps build in dacs to shame.

Full disclosure: I am not against integrated amps, have/had a few myself, but... And, in some applications, integrated amps are great.

Even a cheap dongle type will do a good/better job if you use it with an AVR's analog input, direct mode to bypass the AVR's ADC/DSP/DAC block.

1727442804337.png

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have to say this is somewhat misleading as it paints an incomplete picture. This device presents excellent measurements (especially at its price) but lacks pre-amp and amp analog sections/functions. It's pure DAC. It doesn't even have a volume control
Integrated amps have their roles, even if their SINAD is a tad worse.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
That looks like a solid little DAC for a nice little price. Thanks for sharing.

Even a cheap dongle type will do a good/better job if you use it with an AVR's analog input, direct mode to bypass the AVR's ADC/DSP/DAC block.
This I don't think is quite so simple. It depends on what you're connecting it to. Not all modern receivers even keep an analog signal anymore and will ADC internally. Even if you do have one that does have a pure analog pass-through, then you're giving up any room correction as that also requires an ADC - DAC conversion anyways - or rather, I don't see the point of using the external DAC if you're going to end up using the internal for RC. You did specifically say integrated amplifier though, and those have traditionally not had RC in the past, but it is becoming a more common feature on them now.

I have one system where I run it straight analog from the DAC (because I wanted to preserve native DSD and just try it) and I am generally happy with the sound from the system. So no RC is definitely not the end of the world. It does make something a little more expensive like the new Topping D50 III with PEQ built in a compelling option for older integrated amps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis