Rear surrounds placement

C

crypto

Enthusiast
I need help figuring out the best wall to mount my right rear surround on. The speakers are Paradigm ADP-170 dipole. The squared off portion of the room is about 14' x 14'. The back of the room opens into the dining room and kitchen. Opening is about 8' wide.

Attached are two photos. The first picture shows the right wall (when facing TV). Should I mount the speaker in location #1 or #2?

Edit: I should add that if I mount the speaker in location #1, it will be directly inline with the ears of those sitting on the love seat. Location #2 will put the speakers behind the listening area.

Attachments

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
That is a tough call, with #1 being somewhat better. It is even better if you can pull the love seat forward of the speakers by a foot or so. IMO, a center speaker and second subwoofer might be a better investment, instead of the surround speakers.

If this is to add speakers for 5.1, they are called 'side surrounds'. When you go from 5.1 to 7.1 you are adding 'rear surrounds' :).

C

crypto

Enthusiast
That is a tough call, with #1 being somewhat better. It is even better if you can pull the love seat forward of the speakers by a foot or so. IMO, a center speaker and second subwoofer might be a better investment, instead of the surround speakers.

If this is to add speakers for 5.1, they are called 'side surrounds'. When you go from 5.1 to 7.1 you are adding 'rear surrounds' :).
I have a center channel and will be replacing my current sub with two. I'm just unsure where to mount the rears (side surrounds) in this room. I was thinking that position #2 would be better for the love seat, but not for people sitting on the couch.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I have a center channel and will be replacing my current sub with two.
Cool!

I'm just unsure where to mount the rears (side surrounds) in this room. I was thinking that position #2 would be better for the love seat, but not for people sitting on the couch.
You have to pick a 'main listening position'. It should be close to the speaker arrangement in the following picture, for good surround sound. The Couch is way off to the side to be considered at all. One of the love seat positions will have to be the main listening position. Considering the love seat as main listening position, you can get good equalization for it.

This article will give you more ideas, http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/speaker-setup-guidelines/home-theater-speaker-layout-an-essential-guide

C

crypto

Enthusiast
Let me ask you this, do you think it would be better if I rearranged the room and put the TV on the left wall?

Thanks for your help!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, moving the tv to the left wall will provide much better speaker placement options for your side channels, and rear channels should you want to add them in the future. Although Ideally, you'd want to move the couch out from the wall probably 4-6 feet for rear surrounds.

Two subs will provide a lot of improvement, especially since this room is open to another.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Let me ask you this, do you think it would be better if I rearranged the room and put the TV on the left wall?
To be sure, you mean move the TV to where the fish tank is? If yes, I would advise against doing that.

The front stage will be wonky because of having a wall on the right (high room gain) and an open space on the left (little to no room gain) of the main speakers. Further, the angled wall behind the love seat (in picture, it is the wall with a solitary #2 speaker) will create an odd reflection that will create asymmetric first reflections. All in all, the front stage will be ruined even if you somehow manage to use a pair of surrounds behind you. If you are so inclined, get a room measurement in both arrangements before you commit to the change. This site tells you how to get a room measurement.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more it seems like a bad idea to shoehorn surrounds into that room. Just keep the same layout and upgrade the sub. If you must buy something to get rid of the upgraditis, replace the fronts and center altogether or invest in room treatments.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Now that you mention it, yes that would be a bad idea, but what about the right wall?

C

crypto

Enthusiast
Ughhh! Not what I wanted to hear. We just moved into this house, so I'm trying to get my system setup in this new room, I'm not looking to upgrade. I already have the following speakers:

Fronts: B&W DM 603 S2 - 150W continuous into 8Ω
Center: B&W LCR6 S2 - 150W continuous into 8Ω
Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-170
Sub: MTX psw101b - Junk!

I have a Denon 4311 coming tomorrow and am building two Infinity Kappa 12" subs.

Do these surrounds being DiPole make any difference?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
what about the right wall?
Similar issues with asymmetric room layout. The only change I'd recommend is a corner arrangement where the sub currently sits. With that placement the surrounds can go above the fish tank for the left and on the angled wall for the right surround.

Ughhh! Not what I wanted to hear. We just moved into this house, so I'm trying to get my system setup in this new room... Do these surrounds being DiPole make any difference?
I hear you, but don't force adding of surrounds at the detriment to the front stage.

Dipoles will not help resolve issues arising from improper placement.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis