<font color='#008080'>Guess I'll jump in...

I notice a couple of observations:

1 - I believe Yamahaluver is explaining that there is no perceived standing wave problems in his room, not that he's calculated this with frequency analysis

2 - As a (former) recording engineer, you can really never tell what will end up in all five channels, because the way TV and movies are mixed, sounds are merely panned wherever they need to be, occasionally, in an overlapping sweep from fronts to rears, and visa versa. This results in low frequency information being routed to more than just the fronts or rears simultaneously. Bass management on the receiver will then take these frequencies and route them according to your particular settings. I have seen an explosion sent to all five channels, with differing sweeteners on each - but all well within the sub range.

3- with the number of variables in each person's room, and with the propensity for large rears (however uncommon in a setup) to put out low frequency regardless of the presence of a subwoofer, standing wave collisions would have to be measured (or perceived) and evaluated (and/or acted upon) on a instance-to-instance basis.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">with the number of variables in each person's room, and with the propensity for large rears (however uncommon in a setup) to put out low frequency regardless of the presence of a subwoofer, standing wave collisions would have to be measured (or perceived) and evaluated (and/or acted upon) on a instance-to-instance basis.  </td></tr></table>

I certainly agree with this statement.  My only observation is that I have never been in a room yet that doesn't have standing wave problems with multiple bass drivers in the room.  They may be somewhat disguised but they are still there.  The only way to know for sure is to measure.

Everyone is free to use their own tastes for sound preferences, but when it comes to standing waves the laws of physics prevail.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>hawke has certainly put words of wisdom here. I am aware of the laws of physics and being a mathematician, I have had the occasion to teach it quite a few times at prestigious universities including my alma matter Rutgers. To end it all, I would say that sound is a pleasure concept, much like food and art and therefore, not subject to the rigid parameters. One cant make mathematicaly perfect recipe. My mother, for example, never used measurment, yet, her cooking is applauded even by five star chefs who regularly come to her for learning new recipes.

I had thought of the bass collison problems but decided to let my ears be the judge of HT sound. Had to do what made me and others who participated in my HT feel good. One sub was OK, but when I added the rears, there was a look of glee and satisfaction on everyone's face in the room. Even those who came in later said that watching movies was more fun than before. They all liked the fact that the bass had way more depth than before and now movie sound had much more directionality. This to me was my goal of getting the HT. HT never stood for audiophille sound. For that as I have mentioned before, I have appropriate stereo only equipment. I bought HT to view movies only and had to get close or even better the sound found in local movie theaters. With my current setup, it seems that I have been able to acheive exactly that. For me, making myself and others feel good is what sound is all about. Never said my method is all about perfection, it is about what sounds good and isnt music and sound all about that.

Thank you hawke for your insight and Bruce, being a man of science myself, I will never deny the laws of physics, which certainly doesnt mean that I cant challenge them or experiment with them. The exsistence of laws and theorems are there because people challenged the conventional thinking of them. Medical science still has a lot to deduct on the concept of human hearing and the brain's perception of sound. New grounds are boken every now and then and old theories are challenged and ammended.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>hawke,

I very much agree with gene's basic premise when he makes the following statement in his cable face-off article, as gene says, &quot;We believe and cherish objective measurements and feel they are the first step in developing and/or analyzing a high fidelity product.&quot;

This same methodology applies to the physical propagation of bass frequencies (from single or multiple drivers) in an exclosed listening room.  Standing wave phenomena is easily measureable and quantifiable, while the human ear is easily fooled unless trained to recognize specific bass anomolies.  In fact, some users mistakingly equate standing wave peaks at specific frequencies as &quot;better bass impact&quot;, but of course that is their perogative.  
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>I have towers, sub in the front full range center, and towers, sub in the rear with bookshelf rear backs. DVD Audio DTS still amazes me it sounds so great.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>austin552,

Do you use a Radio Shack SPL meter and an AVIA or VE DVD to calibrate all those speakers?

If you have, then it's also quite simple to use the same SPL meter with the same DVD (like AVIA) to do a frequency sweep of your system for low frequency response characteristics.

Want to know what bass frequencies really stand-out in your room?  You'd be surpised how some specific frequencies can be 20dB higher than others.

What are your room's dimensions (L, W, H) and I call tell you which frequencies will likely be boosted.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>I have towers, sub in the front full range center, and towers, sub in the rear with bookshelf rear backs. DVD Audio DTS still amazes me it sounds so great.</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Austin,

Is your rear sub smaller than your front subs. What is the crossover point for your front subs when you are listening to music in stereo mode?</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis