Rear speaker options / Bipole/dipole/monopole

A

antman27

Audiophyte
Hello I am setting up a 5.1 family room and I am looking for the BEST option for my surrounds
My sofa will be against the back wall so what would work BEST I want 5.1 (and maybe 7.1) not surround music
1 ) Bipole /dipole on side walls
2) Bipole /dipole on rear walls
3) normal bookshelfs on sidewalls ( facing each other)
4) inwalls behind sofa (firing front)

Next question is 90% will be cable TV so most 5.1 IF i do 7.1 will I get the same surround info in both R rear and R side ( and same on left side to make a bigger sweet spot
Thanks for your thoughts

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I believe traditionally channels 4 and 5 are intended for side surrounds, and channels 6 and 7 are for rear surrounds. Of course, you could do whatever configuration you want -- side surrounds, then front wide / front height if you're feeling crazy. Your receiver will make the best sense it can out of whatever configuration you have wired. I say all that to say that strict adherence to tradition isn't crucial. If you want to do rear surrounds instead of side surrounds, go for it. I do, and I'm pleased with the result.

As far as 5.1 source signal playing in 7.1 in your room, I'm not sure. You'd probably need to consult your AVR's manual or contact the manufacturer's support staff and ask. Honestly, going from 5.1 to 7.1 is past the point of diminishing returns for me, although I'm sure there are some around here who claim the extra surround effects are worthwhile.

If 7.1 is what you want, I think use dipoles on the sides and bipoles behind.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Dipoles on the sides, I think. Also, if you can, you might benefit from pulling the couch away from the back wall some. Even just a couple of feet would probably help. Placing it directly against the wall will be more apt to put the listeners into a null at some bass frequencies.

This leads me to another thought. Have you done the subwoofer crawl yet? If you have and you're pleased with the bass response, then disregard all this. If you've tried but can't find a satisfactory placement for the sub with the couch up against the wall, then pulling the couch out a little might help. Obviously, this will affect your placement of the side surrounds. Get your sub dialed in first, if you haven't already.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

7.1 is intended to work with two of the rear speakers behind the listening position, so you’re better off with a 5.1 system. Di- and bipolar speakers are designed for installations where the listening position is a good distance from the back wall, so use normal bookshelf speakers (hopefully a timbre match for the fronts). Positioning them at least 6 ft. away from the listening position and mounted at least 6 ft. up on the walls will get the best results.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis