H

HansE

Audiophyte
I presently have the following setup:

Yamaha RX-Z1 with

Klipsch RF7 towers in the front
Klipsch RC7 center
Klipsch RB5 bookshelves for the rear surrounds

First, I would like to add a rear center channel to take advantage of the EX sountracks in SW, LOTR, etc. What type of speaker should I use? A Center? Another RB5 type?? A Dipole?

Second, I am considering changing the RB5s to RS7 dipoles. I mainly watch movies but do listen to DVD Audio as well.

Thanks,
Hans

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
HansE said:
I presently have the following setup:

Yamaha RX-Z1 with

Klipsch RF7 towers in the front
Klipsch RC7 center
Klipsch RB5 bookshelves for the rear surrounds

First, I would like to add a rear center channel to take advantage of the EX sountracks in SW, LOTR, etc. What type of speaker should I use? A Center? Another RB5 type?? A Dipole?

Second, I am considering changing the RB5s to RS7 dipoles. I mainly watch movies but do listen to DVD Audio as well.

Thanks,
Hans
I have never been a big fan of dipoles. I like the more direct firing rears. That said, I would probably go with another RB5 for the center rear.

There are serveral schools of thought out there concerning dipoles vs. standard rears and many will swear by each. again, I would stick with what you've got and add the RB5.

Shinerman

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
Di-poles are very effective in my setup but not as effects speakers.
I run a 9 speaker array with a matched set of 5 Totem Model1's as my hirez music speakers including the Signature center and the direct firing Model 1's L/R behind me as surround "A", and all other speakers are off .

This allows me to have a pair of Axiom QS4 dipoles further forward in the room which are added in as surround B for film.

It may or may not be cheaper but I think its more flexible to use a pair of direct firing rather than dipoles of pretty much anything you've got hanging arround as effects speakers as it provides a wider throw behind me. I don't feel timbre matching means much for this category yet. They also come in handy with some DSP modes such as 7ch stereo or DTS NEO when watching some widescreen Nascar thats not being broadcast dd5.1.

Anyway, right now unfortuneately there isn't enough EX or ES stuff available out there to comit big speaker bucks to it IMHO.

Peter m.

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
perhaps a BiPolar would be the best of both worlds, can't this simply be done by re-wiring a dipolar in parallel instaed of series?

~Bob

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi
I have installed many systems using the Klipsch Reference Series
Here are some options that will work very well

(1) Using a single speaker as the EX speaker in a 6.1 configuration
Use the RB-5’s as the surrounds and use a RB-35 center directly behind the listening Install the single center at a more elevated level than the RB-5's
This will help with localization and also give you a sense of height

(2) Use the RB-5's as surrounds and use a single RS-7 or RS-35 directly behind the listening position Install it at a more elevated level than the RB-5's This configuration works very well because the speaker is designed to be wide dispersion

(3) Use the RB-5's as surrounds and use a single RCR-5 or RCR-3 in the ceiling
Slightly behind the listening position aim the tweeter away from the listening position

(4) Using 2 speakers as the EX in a 7.1 configuration
Move the RB-5's to the rear as the EX speaker and place two RS-7's in the null of the listening position place all speakers tweeters at the same height Appx 12-18" above seated ear level you can place all tweeters at the same level because you don’t have a single point source for the rear

(5) Using 2 speakers as the EX in a 7.1 configuration use the RB-5's as surrounds placed behind the listening position and toed in toward the listening position Install 2 RB-15's or 2 RB-25's or 2 RSX-5's or 2 RCW-5 inwalls directly behind the listening position at a more elevated level that the RB-5’s place them appx 6-10' apart and aimed directly forward no toe in

(6) Using 2 speakers as the EX in a 7.1 configuration Place the RB-5’s behind the listening position toed in toward the listening position use 2 RCR-5’s or RCR-3’s in the ceiling installed slightly behind the listening position aim the tweeter away from the listening position

(7) Use RB-5's 2 as surrounds and 2 RB-35 as EX install the same as above
They dont make the RB-5 any more so you may have a tough time finding a pair

(8) using 2 speakers as the EX channel in a 7.1 configuration
Use 2 RF-7's as the rear surrounds placed behind the listening position and toed in toward the listening position use the RB-5's as the EX speaker placed directly behind the listening position Install the RB-5 at a more elevated level that the RF-7's and aimed directly forward no toe in

There are more combos that work but I have had very good success with the above

Cheers Ray

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis