Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Am I the only person that just doesn't understand the value of "professional athletes"? I mean, I don't really get any more entertainment rooting for a college (or even high school) football or basketball team than I do a professional team. Heck, usually the games are a lot more interesting, at least IMO.

Heck, it wasn't that long ago that Johnny Unitas worked at Bethlehem Steel while also being a football player. Now we have...[strike]sh*theads[/strike] wonderful examples of humanity like TO. Sad state of affairs IMO.
I appreciate professional sports and athletes, but to be paid the way they are and put on this pedestal is something that I'll never understand.

Call me crazy, but I think teachers, doctors, social workers, etc do more for society than any of those guys.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I appreciate professional sports and athletes, but to be paid the way they are and put on this pedestal is something that I'll never understand.

Call me crazy, but I think teachers, doctors, social workers, etc do more for society than any of those guys.
They provide a release to people who enjoy watching the best do what they do so they can have a clear head to go back and do what they do.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
They provide a release to people who enjoy watching the best do what they do so they can have a clear head to go back and do what they do.
No offense meant at all, but I think that's a pretty weak excuse for guys getting paid $30+ million a year with a $600,000+ minimum salary (baseball). When most of the people who save lives on a daily basis don't even touch that and work twice as much. Men and women who quite literally have people's lives in their hands on a daily basis can't even sniff that per year.

Then there are teachers who shape the youth of a nation and who, in essence, are responsible for the direction our country ends up going because of the huge influence they hold generation after generation and the profession in general is usually looked down upon, budgets slashed, and more and more teachers laid off.

Social workers and other such professions barely make any money at all and these are the people trying to keep children from being abused and mistreated. Who help raped women, and find places for poor families to stay so they're not sleeping on the street.

So for this "release" that they supposedly provide they deserve exorbitant amounts of money that they all too often just piss away? I don't buy it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge sports fan and I love my sports to the bitter end, but there's no way in heck someone's going to convince me that they deserve the money they get.

Soapbox rant over :D

(DISCLAIMER: I'm a teacher :cool:)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'm a huge sports fan and I love my sports to the bitter end, but there's no way in heck someone's going to convince me that they deserve the money they get.
I'm a sports fan, I just don't need to watch the "best", especially for the money they want. I mean, I don't get any less enjoyment watching March Madness than I do from pro basketball.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a teacher :cool:
So you're a government leech that can't get a job in the private sector then :p

Disclaimer: My wife is a teacher :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
But 30 million is a pretty rare contract.

Most make six figures and last an average of four years.
When you factor in the injuries I don't think the money matches the pay.

Any Given Sunday is a good movie to get an idea of what it's like.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
No offense meant at all, but I think that's a pretty weak excuse for guys getting paid $30+ million a year with a $600,000+ minimum salary (baseball). When most of the people who save lives on a daily basis don't even touch that and work twice as much. Men and women who quite literally have people's lives in their hands on a daily basis can't even sniff that per year.

Then there are teachers who shape the youth of a nation and who, in essence, are responsible for the direction our country ends up going because of the huge influence they hold generation after generation and the profession in general is usually looked down upon, budgets slashed, and more and more teachers laid off.

Social workers and other such professions barely make any money at all and these are the people trying to keep children from being abused and mistreated. Who help raped women, and find places for poor families to stay so they're not sleeping on the street.

So for this "release" that they supposedly provide they deserve exorbitant amounts of money that they all too often just piss away? I don't buy it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge sports fan and I love my sports to the bitter end, but there's no way in heck someone's going to convince me that they deserve the money they get.

Soapbox rant over :D

(DISCLAIMER: I'm a teacher :cool:)
No offense taken.:)

When 20000+ people a night pay to go to a single class over and over again and the networks will pay to televise it also, a teacher will command those kind of salaries. It's nothing more than supply and demand.

BTW, I like sports but I place my own value to it and if everyone applied that same value system the money would not be there to pay the owners so they couldn't pay players salaries that high.

Everybody spends their entertainment budget differently. If you asked the average sports fan they would not think the money you have invested in your AV system is money well spent ether.:eek::D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
No offense taken.:)

When 20000+ people a night pay to go to a single class over and over again and the networks will pay to televise it also, a teacher will command those kind of salaries. It's nothing more than supply and demand.

BTW, I like sports but I place my own value to it and if everyone applied that same value system the money would not be there to pay the owners so they couldn't pay players salaries that high.

Everybody spends their entertainment budget differently. If you asked the average sports fan they would not think the money you have invested in your AV system is money well spent ether.:eek::D
Actually teachers do make that kind of money. The top people in my field make way more than any athlete ever has. Many of them make more wealth in 1 year than Jordan made his entire career.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
But 30 million is a pretty rare contract.

Most make six figures and last an average of four years.
When you factor in the injuries I don't think the money matches the pay.

Any Given Sunday is a good movie to get an idea of what it's like.
I've seen it and I think the money more than matches the pay. High risk, high reward kind of like a stock broker or hedge fund manager. Plus, as much work as they put in fitness wise and honing their craft, you can't alter the fact that they're playing a game for a living. If they lose sight of that and see it as more of a "job" or a "living" then that's their problem. How many other jobs have the word "play" mentioned in their description. Have a doctor describe what he does as "playing doctor" and see how many patients visit him or if teacher said they "play teacher" I bet their would be a mini-uprising in the community.

Actually teachers do make that kind of money. The top people in my field make way more than any athlete ever has. Many of them make more wealth in 1 year than Jordan made his entire career.
I don't consider college professors as part of the group I'm talking about. Highly paid college professors at major universities don't really qualify as teachers anymore in my book. They have TA's do some of their work and spend much of their time doing more private sectorish work than actual teaching.

The only high school teachers than ever make it to mid 6 figures are at highly competitive high schools with big time donors and most likely application processes which accounts for about 1% of high school and elementary populations.

Most elementary and high school teachers work 20-30+ years before they ever see 6 figures (if they ever see it) and usually have to fight for that year after year against a public that sees as nothing more than a tax burden.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I don't really care how much athletes get paid. I've never paid for a professional sports ticket and I've never bought any of their apparel. I suppose that some portion of my money goes to the sports teams when I buy common retail products that are advertised during games. However, I don't watch the games so I don't know which products have sports advertising budgets built into the price.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord

I agree, but I'd add people who volunteer to go into the armed services to this list as well. They don't have it easy while in the service and it ain't a whole lot easier when they return to civilian life. Some things you just can't get outta your head.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If you asked the average sports fan they would not think the money you have invested in your AV system is money well spent ether.
Is it our fault they don't know their @$$holes from their elbows? :confused: :eek: :D

How come nobody wants to hand out some sort of award to drywallers? :rolleyes:

Usually they're very fit, well tanned ... smart ...
alright, smart might be a bit of a stretch but they're exceptionally well tanned ...
and often short. :p

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
It seems like it's an accepted attitude that it's ok to cheat as long as you're not caught... seems like this is the prevailing attitude in cycling too... Probably why I never cared even about Tour de France or cycling in general

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My faucet and filtration system arrived yesterday, which was a pleasant surprise. They were both supposed to come today.

I haven't unpacked the faucet yet, but just looking at it in the box, I'm impressed by the quality. I think that it'll be a nice step up, for sure. The smaller faucet that came with the filter system isn't bad, either. Not as fancy, but it seems sturdy and well built.

I might crawl under the sink this morning before I shower to try and get the sprayer handle holder out. I took out the sprayer handle last night, but I was having trouble getting the retaining nut off of the holder (which is just a threaded plastic piece inserted into the hole) because the holder would just spin. I'm gonna have to get two hands on that bad boy.

As for the paragraph above, you can thank me later. :D

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
My faucet and filtration system arrived yesterday, which was a pleasant surprise. They were both supposed to come today.

I haven't unpacked the faucet yet, but just looking at it in the box, I'm impressed by the quality. I think that it'll be a nice step up, for sure. The smaller faucet that came with the filter system isn't bad, either. Not as fancy, but it seems sturdy and well built.

I might crawl under the sink this morning before I shower to try and get the sprayer handle holder out. I took out the sprayer handle last night, but I was having trouble getting the retaining nut off of the holder (which is just a threaded plastic piece inserted into the hole) because the holder would just spin. I'm gonna have to get two hands on that bad boy.

Is it later yet? Oh well, time for my long soapy shower.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I've seen it and I think the money more than matches the pay. High risk, high reward kind of like a stock broker or hedge fund manager. Plus, as much work as they put in fitness wise and honing their craft, you can't alter the fact that they're playing a game for a living. If they lose sight of that and see it as more of a "job" or a "living" then that's their problem. How many other jobs have the word "play" mentioned in their description. Have a doctor describe what he does as "playing doctor" .

I agree with much of what you are saying, but my sarcastic side could not pass this up.
Don't they call what doctors do, "practice?" Don't they "practice" medicine?:eek: Maybe they could practice playing doctor.
Flame suit on.;)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Ahhh, hair. I remember those days. :) Sadly, there are some things that even a Jedi cannot do.
Remember Adam: A Jedi will not take revenge !!!!!!!!
You seem to forget this sometimes :confused:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan

PICS ADAM !!!

I mean Pics of Adam crawling under the sink :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis