REALLY Basic Question

sincity337

sincity337

Audiophyte
Folks,

Let me first apologize if this is a stupid question, but I am finally entering the 21st century and trying to put together a HT system. My plan was to piece it together. I already have my speakers selected (AV123) and was wondering about an AV receiver. My budget for the receiver is around $500, and am looking at something that will handle a 5.1 setup. I've read all of the reviews and such, but I still don't get it. Can I buy a 7.1 receiver and use it for a 5.1 speaker setup? I was looking at the Yamaha RX-V661, and maybe the Onkyo TX-SR605.
Any help would be appreciated:eek:

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

The Onkyo is very popular. I'm fond over yammy's build quality, have had several. And yes, both of those receivers will run in 5.1. Which av123 speakers are you going for?

'Have Fun :)

sincity337

sincity337

Audiophyte
Speakers

Hi,

I think I am going to go with 4 x-ls's, 1 x-cs (center) and a Plok PSW303 that I won by taking some survey, otherwise I would have bought an AV123 SW.
I am kind of on a tight budget, and really am not going all out, but I did want a receiver that would come with plenty of bell and whistles in case I want to go with 7.1 later.
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.:D

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver configuration

Sin,
Great list of receiver and speaker options. The sub is probably the weak point, but you can't beat free.

No problem with a 7.1 receiver. In the receiver's manual or auto setup it determines your speaker configuration (5.1, 6.1, 7.1, etc.) and does the audio processing accordingly. These days, only the entry level models are limited to 5.1 Some 7.1 receivers will also let you use the extra amp channels for speakers in another room or to bi-amp the mains.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis