Reaction to Semiconductor Supply Chains Trouble Could Bring Future Glut

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Overlord
On Steve's IC Editorial - I have some reservations about his pricing logic on B&M vs. ID companies. That shouldn't be too surprising considering that Steven spent most of his professional career in B&M brands, if I understand correctly.
The most egregious points are around operational, administrative, and advertising parts costs. I am willing to bet that ALL of the above are much lower for most ID brands. I do agree on ID brands paying more (likely much more) for parts/components due to the much smaller scale.
Furthermore, I also agree on the real danger of rethinking the urge to upgrade. I still own and love my 2007 Onkyo 805 AVR, which may seem almost vintage as a record player. But so far, there hasn't been a single killer feature that made me upgrade. If (or when) I upgrade to 4k TV, I could always use digital out to continue using the same avr. etc., for any gaming consoles and such. At worst, it would be a minor inconvenience.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

I can tell you this, we just order $8M in Cisco gear and are being told to expect 6-8 months delivery time from the date the PO is issued.
Same here for HPE Aruba and Ruckus (Arista). I have campus refreshes that I'm literally sitting on my hands waiting for equipment when I should already be halfway through.

We had to push one customer to sign a P.O. just so their copper rewire of CAT6 didn't increase by 15% due to materials costs increase.

B

bladerunner6

Junior Audioholic
FYI- Father Guido Sarducci started out in the late 1970’s.

I remember him from the original SNL. Although he did appear in various places well into the 1980’s.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Overlord
@Stanton, is there a particular reason for dislike vote? Perhaps someone who claims to be a writer could make some effort to express his opinion in a bit more than one-click emoji?

EpsilonZer0

EpsilonZer0

Audiophyte
I don't know, sound bars seem to have no problem selling. Best Buy and other retailers seem to keep a steady supply of sound bars available. But at the same time they have zero stock of AVRs, shelves literally left empty for a year. There is a reason.

Sound bars are the new mass market gear that has taken energy away from traditional low to mid range AVR equipment. These sound bars use a lot of the same components that AVR have but they keep pushing them out because there is simply more demand. Retailers also actively bundle sound bars with new TV purchases with great success.

I honestly don't know if AVRs will return to retail. The future may be build to order directly from manufacturers.

B

bladerunner6

Junior Audioholic
I don't know, sound bars seem to have no problem selling. Best Buy and other retailers seem to keep a steady supply of sound bars available. But at the same time they have zero stock of AVRs, shelves literally left empty for a year. There is a reason.

Sound bars are the new mass market gear that has taken energy away from traditional low to mid range AVR equipment. These sound bars use a lot of the same components that AVR have but they keep pushing them out because there is simply more demand. Retailers also actively bundle sound bars with new TV purchases with great success.

I honestly don't know if AVRs will return to retail. The future may be build to order directly from manufacturers.
People are buying AVR’s. They exist in short supply right now but they certainly haven’t gone away or are going away.

That being said soundboard have become a more mainstream item.

R

RXP

Audioholic Intern
Wasn't aware of that NFL ratings. The great resigniation and stories like that tell me that people are truly questioning their lives, which is good.

For AVRs it's really a done deal now that 7.1.4 recievers are common place - I can't see myself upgrading until it breaks. At that point it might become painful to consider increased costs. I'm not expecting TV prices next year to be like this years either due to shipping issues so bit on a 77" C1 this month. Kinda nice to be saited and not constantly in a consumerist frenzy. Can actually enjoy content, rather than tweaking Audyssey!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis