RE Designs Audio SCPA 1 Review!

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
It looks like Dan did for six channels what the Morrison ELAD did for two: design a just-the-essentials analog preamp with the best theoretical performance you can wring out of it, pay no heed to 'phile fetishes, and don't worry about it being pretty*. Not for everyone (including me), but for the few who need it or just dig the concept...

I think three ELADs would cost a tad less and do more or less the same thing, albeit less conveniently. ;) That precision six gang pot must cost a pretty penny by itself!

And this got me thinking of using shielded wire inside my DIY power amps and active crossovers when I build them (I just ordered Elliot Sound PCBs for his P3A amp). Gotta read Dan's grounding article in depth yet, too.

[*Kind of like my Subaru WRX, come to think of it! :D ]

Last edited:
C

countraven

Audiophyte
I think it's a very cool looking piece of gear. Come on, those knobs are beautiful! :) It looks like a precision instrument. I still can't quite get over the price, though. It's clearly well-built and everything with nice parts, but wow - almost THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS for a six-way volume trimmer? Ouch! I mean, the preamp costs more than the disc player it was used with, just to tweak the levels? It seems somewhat absurd in a way.

No offense to Dan, I'm just whining because I can't quite bring myself to splurge on one! Maybe this alcohol will help... :p

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
Scpa 1

Unfortunately, precision analog costs money, and there's a discrete 6 deck attenuator that goes with those precision trims. However, I have been known to give discounts, especially as the end of the year approaches.
d.b.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis