D

DeepSeaDan

Junior Audioholic
The Missuss wants to have ( Gasp! ) VCR capability in the new set up ( LG OLED 55C1 / Denon AVR-S750H ); is there a specific &/or preferred splitter for this function?

TIA!

DSD

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you tried running the vcr into your avr? It has rca inputs (rca composite) that could accommodate a vcr (depends a bit on vcr's output options, are they composite or component video with separate audio? your Denon doesn't have component video inputs). You may have to change the input assignment to accommodate that input, but I don't see anything in the manual that would indicate it can't output the signal over hdmi....or can either, but I'd try that first. I don't know about any external devices that would particularly upconvert composite/component video to hdmi, tho....never looked for one, got rid of non-hdmi video a long time ago.

Try this on composite video, has links to S-video and component video at the bottom https://www.lifewire.com/composite-video-the-basics-1846869

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I don’t believe that Denon can convert an analog composite cable connection for HDMI output and I don’t think that TV has break out cable ports. Might try old school coaxial connection to TV Antenna/Cable IN from VCR and ARC or optical out the audio to the receiver. Worth a try if a coaxial cable is handy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t believe that Denon can convert an analog composite cable connection for HDMI output and I don’t think that TV has break out cable ports. Might try old school coaxial connection to TV Antenna/Cable IN from VCR and ARC or optical out the audio to the receiver. Worth a try if a coaxial cable is handy.
That was my first thought, but worth a try. Why does it have a composite video input then was my thought.....but didn't think of the coaxial thing, think my vcr had that as an option....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It has a composite output as well. It is necessary since it cannot convert the signal. Models that can convert the signal also include the composite output as some older gaming consoles cannot be converted to HDMI output. I found this to be the case when trying to convert the signal of my Pioneer Laser Active to HDMI using one of my old Denon receivers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It has a composite output as well. It is necessary since it cannot convert the signal. Models that can convert the signal also include the composite output as some older gaming consoles cannot be converted to HDMI output. I found this to be the case when trying to convert the signal of my Pioneer Laser Active to HDMI using one of my old Denon receivers.
Dang I missed the "out" entirely for the composite connection....I should put on my reading glasses :)

D

DeepSeaDan

Junior Audioholic
I've been looking at devices that are rca - to - hdmi 'boxes', some claiming to enable 1080p resolution on the tv. She mostly just wants to watch old family videos & make plans to convert them to digital format. Would those devices be suitable?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could be, got a link? Just what are your vcr's output options (make and model of gear is usually good enough)? I'd definitely do some research on such units in general first, hopefully find some meaningful user comments.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That was my first thought, but worth a try. Why does it have a composite video input then was my thought.....but didn't think of the coaxial thing, think my vcr had that as an option....
Some receivers and processors will convert analog inputs to HDMI, but many will not. The ones that will do this are increasingly few. If his receiver will not convert analog to HDMI, and his TV has no analog inputs, he is totally out of luck.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some receivers and processors will convert analog inputs to HDMI, but many will not. The ones that will do this are increasingly few. If his receiver will not convert analog to HDMI, and his TV has no analog inputs, he is totally out of luck.
Yeah I just didn't see the composite out first time around....maybe a flagship unit might offer some upscaling, tho one of their lowest models not too likely. Be nice, tho for folks who still have a vcr :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah I just didn't see the composite out first time around....maybe a flagship unit might offer some upscaling, tho one of their lowest models not too likely. Be nice, tho for folks who still have a vcr :)
You must have meditated today. Or, um, medicated.;)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There are several real world options which have been mentioned, but I believe only one actually works, and it makes sense...

As linked by @DeepSeaDan, it is the composite video/analog audio to HDMI converter/scaler. It allows you to simply make the VCR another HDMI source into the system. It's cheap, it is quick, and easy.

From looking online, it does not appear that the Denon converts from composite to HDMI (a cheap expense, but would have added to the price of the receiver).
So, you would then need to connect composite video to the TV... Except, it doesn't appear that the LG C1 has any standard AV connectivity on it. Even though this online guide seems to indicate this is a 'standard' connection. Check your TV for an 'AV IN' (typically yellow) 3.5mm connection on the back of the TV. I expect all you will have is HDMI, USB, and toslink as well as a audio and RS232 connection on the back. No standard AV. If you DO have a standard AV connection, then this may be helpful and is an option that'll save you 20 bucks...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis