RBH Signature SV-61R Bookshelf Speaker Review

K

Kursun

Enthusiast
You can't believe that? I can, because the crossover circuit is simply well-designed, as can be seen from the performance measurements, and if an electrolytic cap was chosen for the crossover, that is probably because it was the best part for the job.
The only time electrolytic capacitors are used in crossovers is purely economic.
Because electrolytic capacitors are dirty cheap.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I am a speaker designer.
If you don't know why electrolytic capacitors shouldn't be used than you don't know anything about audio.
Electrolytic capacitors shouldn't be used in signal paths in audio as they produce more distortion.
They should only used for power supply filtering purposes.

BTW electrolytic capacitors work in circuits as long as they have polarizing DC on them.
Without DC they have short llifespan.

Before answering any post,
First LEARN! LEARN! LEARN!
I didn't ask if you were a "designer".

Heck, everyone here knows I am a "singer", but that doesn't mean I have recorded albums with any record studios or have done concert tours.

I asked if you worked as a speaker engineer (like perhaps have the title of "Chief Speaker Engineer") for an ACTUAL SPEAKER COMPANY for the past 30 years or so.

If so, what is the speaker company for whom you worked for all these years?

And what engineering degree did you earn?

Last edited:
S

Shane Rich

Audioholics Approved Vendor
Hello all, I thought I would take this opportunity to share some insight into the topic being discussed. RBH Signature Series products (and most high quality speakers on the market) only use polypropylene capacitors for high-pass filters in crossover networks for tweeters (this is where it matters). Electrolytic capacitors have more resistance at higher frequencies and are therefor not ideal for use in series with high frequency drivers. For mid/low frequency drivers, non-polarized electrolytic capacitors are used as shunt (in parallel) capacitors where there is no advantage to using a polypropylene capacitor . They are typically also used in series for high-pass filters for mid-range drivers where the size and cost of using a polypropylene capacitor is not practical, in which case, a smaller bypass polypropylene capacitor is also used to preserve signal integrity. In the RBH model SV-61R, the only electrolytic capacitor used is in parallel with the mid-woofer and not in the signal path of the driver.

Last edited:
A

Arkh82

Enthusiast
I could potentially pick up a pair of these, but also recently purchased a full set of Focal Aria 906's( 2 pair and CC900 Center). how would you compare the Aria's to the SV-61/R's?

These would indeed be used at my computer, and i have gone a bit overboard and paired them with a Rel T/9i Sub. have the speakers about 6 feet apart, and i can be seated anywhere between 4 feet to 8 feet from them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I could potentially pick up a pair of these, but also recently purchased a full set of Focal Aria 906's( 2 pair and CC900 Center). how would you compare the Aria's to the SV-61/R's?

These would indeed be used at my computer, and i have gone a bit overboard and paired them with a Rel T/9i Sub. have the speakers about 6 feet apart, and i can be seated anywhere between 4 feet to 8 feet from them.
You are WAY TOO SPOILED to be using $2K/pair speakers as COMPUTER speakers! :D

My computer speakers cost $20. :D

But seriously, great sounding speakers will sound great - they sound more alike than different, especially in the treble and midrange. $2K RBH speakers are going to sound equally great compared to $2K Focal, Dynaudio, Revel, KEF, or Monitor Audio speakers.

Last edited:
A

Arkh82

Enthusiast
What do you mean? I could spoil my self way more lol.

But, I figure I spend more time at the PC than in front of the TV. And going by your name I figure you'd appreciate what I have set up for that. A pair of BP3000TL towers, matching C/L/R 3000 center, and BP10B as rears. The center makes a loud pop every time its powered on though - perhaps you know a bit about that?

Anyways, I use the PC for work (sometimes) but mainly it's for gaming and music, with the occasional movie or what have you. I put a lot of time and money into the pc itself as well. We'll just say that if I had speakers that were 1k each I'd still be less than what the PC cost. (for a 5.1 setup) Perhaps I have a problem haha.

I got a pretty good deal on the 906's at $899 a pair. and the center I snagged for $799

Having RBH about 5 miles from me may be bad for my wallet.

K

Kursun

Enthusiast
@Shane Rich

I hadn't seen your comment before...
I would like to add further clarification to your clarification...

You are right that using an electrolytic capacitor on the low-pass section of a crossover, in parallel to the woofer won't affect sound quality much.
But on the other hand, an electrolytic capacitor needs forming DC voltage to keep its life long. It won't find any DC in a speaker.
Without any DC present shelf life of an electrolytic capacitor is about 2 years.
This means, inside a crossover, an electrolytic capacitor will constantly deteriorate and change its value. In a few years the crossover frequency will have changed enough to deviate from its nominal value. I suppose you wouln't want that...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis