RBH 661-SE power question

W

Wabbit_Swayer

Junior Audioholic
I've had a pair of these 661-SE's for about 3 months now. I have been using an Adcom GFA 545II amp that I got from my parents for graduation.

Now the GFA 545 puts out 100 watts @ 8 ohms stereo, and 150 watts @ 4 ohm stereo. The 661-SE's are a 4 ohm speaker that require 200 watts. Oh, and they are biampable.

I was reading a 75 page thread over at avsforums on pro amps, and how great and wonderful they are. Remebering some reviews Gene has done of RBH speakers here, I recall him saying these speakers really shine with a significant amount of power. And that RBH speakers are generally power hogs.

I'm curious if there would be any benefits upgrading to, say, a 250x2 @ 4ohm pro amp. Or something along those lines. If it matters, Im using a 3805 as pre/pro, and 3910 as my player.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I would steer clear of most pro amps. They are meant for sound reinforcement and usually give little regards to distortion and noise. Quaility amplifier power can be had cheaply and unless you are blasting music into a large room at full range, your current amps should be sufficient. The 200 watt rating of the RBH speakers is most likely a max rating. They are an overall moderately sensitive speaker and should do just fine with what you have. Focus more on speaker placement and room acoustics before spending $$$ on upgrading electronics.

W

Wabbit_Swayer

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the input Gene.

I figured my amp was sufficient, but wanted to check and make sure I wasn't shorting myself of any quality from these beasts.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis