RB-1092 running Def Tech BP7004's....... Thoughts?

damnngina15

damnngina15

Junior Audioholic
It doesn’t matter if your room opens up to the rest of the world. It only matter how far you sit from them, which is ONLY 10 FT.

OK, do this one simple TRICK. On your TRIMS (speaker channel levels), manually increase all of them by 6dB. So if your Front Left is at 0.0dB, increase it to +6., etc. Then tell us if you FEEL the power is better.
Like I said before I have tried every adjustment and nothing seems to get it where I want. It also DOES matter that it opens up to the rest of the house because when I am playing music I am not just sitting there on my couch 10 feet away.

damnngina15

damnngina15

Junior Audioholic
Imo if the amp is really almost free, I would get it just because. It won’t address the problem with the top end/mid range but it sure won’t hurt anything. The real problem is really the speakers. That’s where I would put money towards. And then when you new/better speakers, you’ll have a cool amp to drive them!eq is a possible “help” but you can’t go in blind. It’s just time for new speakers…
William I believe you’re correct as the problem being with the speakers and I’ll need to eventually change them out but since I can get the amp for $300 I think it’s a no brainer. While we’re on the speaker subject not sure if it exists but I’m looking for a speaker that sounds great, has a built in sub (WAF is a thing plus I never have the room for a separate sub) and it has to be aesthetically pleasing, again due to WAF. I’ve heard Golden Ears are pretty good but if they were designed by the same people that designed def tech I’m not sure I would be improving much (and they don’t meet the aesthetic criteria above). I’ve always liked B&Ws speakers but they don’t have anything with a powered sub section. I am open to suggestions but understand a separate sub is a non-starter.

damnngina15

damnngina15

Junior Audioholic
Yes I have the old AVR -2808 as I mentioned in my initial post.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Like I said before I have tried every adjustment and nothing seems to get it where I want. It also DOES matter that it opens up to the rest of the house because when I am playing music I am not just sitting there on my couch 10 feet away.
Oh, it’s a different story if you are sitting 25FT away and want the same volume as from 10FT away.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd simply focus on better speakers, perhaps with capable bass, but the powered woofers in a speaker have generally just been problems. A good full range speaker will cost some $, though. I'd say perhaps something from JTR RT215s (or perhaps its littler siblings) but WAF might be an issue.

damnngina15

damnngina15

Junior Audioholic
I'd simply focus on better speakers, perhaps with capable bass, but the powered woofers in a speaker have generally just been problems. A good full range speaker will cost some $, though. I'd say perhaps something from JTR RT215s (or perhaps its littler siblings) but WAF might be an issue.
While I would love the JTR’s, WAF would definitely come into play.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While I would love the JTR’s, WAF would definitely come into play.
Yeah not a big surprise :) That can make it harder, but there are some more waf friendly speakers out there, too.....altho hard to beat the value, spl capabilities and extension those JTRs offer. Maybe Legacy?

When I say the powered woofers have been somewhat an issue, it's been both setup related as well as amp failures. That beefy Rotel amp can drive just about any full range speaker to its limits, tho, especially if you want higher spl at longer distances.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
when I am playing music I am not just sitting there on my couch 10 feet away.
That's understandable, but in that case we need clarification. Is the bass overwhelming the mid/high issue there in the main listening positions, or when you when are in the area much further away? Keep in mind bass travels far, while mid not so much and high would fall off much quicker with distance. You cannot expect the same or similar balance between the low and high range when you are outside of the main listening positions, regardless of what speakers and amps you have.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think many of us listen to music even when we are OUTSIDE the room. I listen to music (playing in my HT room or Family room) when I am in the kitchen, etc. It’s very loud, but it’s not blasting away either.

Back when I had the DT BP7000SC, I wrote a lot on the forum about listening to music half across the house in the kitchen - the kitchen walls were shaking. Sounded pretty good.

But is this “critical” listening when you are in another room? :D

Last edited:
damnngina15

damnngina15

Junior Audioholic
UPDATE:

So I finally got the RB-1092 and his RSX-1562 hooked up in my setup and the change in clarity, transparency and detail is night and day from my Denon. The bass just seems so much more controlled in the 7004's with the Rotel's running the show over the Denon. He offered me both for $500 and this was a no brainer for me. Thanks for everyones input and opinions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
UPDATE:

So I finally got the RB-1092 and his RSX-1562 hooked up in my setup and the change in clarity, transparency and detail is night and day from my Denon. The bass just seems so much more controlled in the 7004's with the Rotel's running the show over the Denon. He offered me both for $500 and this was a no brainer for me. Thanks for everyones input and opinions.
So you like the change it seems :) Congrats, that is a nice deal you got for the pair.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So you like the change it seems :) Congrats, that is a nice deal you got for the pair.
Wait, what?

You're not gonna even debate/challenge the "change in clarity, transparency and detail is night and day from my Denon. The bass just seems so much more controlled in the 7004's with the Rotel's" ?

You got reputations to uphold here. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wait, what?

You're not gonna even debate/challenge the "change in clarity, transparency and detail is night and day from my Denon. The bass just seems so much more controlled in the 7004's with the Rotel's" ?

You got reputations to uphold here. :D
I assumed he turned the volume up some and got excited it got a bit louder. That work? :)

damnngina15

damnngina15

Junior Audioholic
Look for some reason everyone on this forum gets a kick out of trying to tout their own knowledge of what makes good sound in order to make them feel good about themselves and superior to others. I just don’t get it. People like myself come on here to ask for advice and tell you what we hear with our own ears in our own environment and instead of helping, 90% just berate the posters and tell them “No you can’t hear that! It’s impossible! Your brain just wants to justify money you spent!” If this were the case I don’t know why most people on here just aren’t using $49 600 watt power amplifiers off of ebay because according to that 90% watts are watts and it doesn’t matter what box they’re coming from or components used to make it. Anyways there were a couple people who responded that were helpful so thanks to them but most responded with sarcasm and really didn’t seem interested in helping, they just wanted to stroke their own egos.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis