Raspberry Pi streamer vs Chromecast Audio

rekh127

rekh127

Audioholic Intern
I'm thinking about replacing the chromecast audios in my system with a raspberry pi based transport like hifiberry digi+ or allo digione. I'm incredibly frustrated by how annoying it is to get gapless playback on the chromecast. I've also generally been trying to have the option to do less things on my phone because I find it really distracting and unreliable compared to a dedicated device. Has anyone compared the options? Am I going to lose a lot of sound quality by going DIY? Am I going to gain sound quality if I get the more expensive digione?

The most critical place to replace would be on my stereo setup - the chromecast is plugged in over Toslink to a CXA60 stereo. On the pi I could use either toslink or rca s/pdif. I'm assuming that the DAC in the CXA60 is better than one of the raspberry pi dacs, but if thats not the case I could also go for the hifiberry dac or allo dac and connect stereo rca.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm thinking about replacing the chromecast audios in my system with a raspberry pi based transport like hifiberry digi+ or allo digione. I'm incredibly frustrated by how annoying it is to get gapless playback on the chromecast. I've also generally been trying to have the option to do less things on my phone because I find it really distracting and unreliable compared to a dedicated device. Has anyone compared the options? Am I going to lose a lot of sound quality by going DIY? Am I going to gain sound quality if I get the more expensive digione?

The most critical place to replace would be on my stereo setup - the chromecast is plugged in over Toslink to a CXA60 stereo. On the pi I could use either toslink or rca s/pdif. I'm assuming that the DAC in the CXA60 is better than one of the raspberry pi dacs, but if thats not the case I could also go for the hifiberry dac or allo dac and connect stereo rca.
RPi is a solid option, but I have no experience with the Chromecast.

Note that the RPi is usually set up as a headless streamer, no local control, rather you log onto it via any other device on your network to control it (smart phone, laptop, etc).

The DACs available for RPi can be excellent! If you are using a toslink cable, then you are not using the DAC in that device, you are sending a digi signal to the DAC that is in the receiving end of the cable.

The most important item for the RPi is for a rock-solid and robust power supply. The Allo Kali power supply and reclocker is an excellent choice!

This bundle makes an excellent piece of kit
https://volumio.org/product/allo-kali-piano-2-1-bundle/

rekh127

rekh127

Audioholic Intern
You could have attached touch-screen LCD to RPi :)
This blog discussed and MEASURED few rPi audio hats, so head out these for objective info and lots of measurements.
Thanks for the link! I am thinking about attaching at least a keypress mod like I've seen some people do! At least for pause toggle/skip/return/etc. Might add a lcd to browse local files as well.

rekh127

rekh127

Audioholic Intern
RPi is a solid option, but I have no experience with the Chromecast.

Note that the RPi is usually set up as a headless streamer, no local control, rather you log onto it via any other device on your network to control it (smart phone, laptop, etc).

The DACs available for RPi can be excellent! If you are using a toslink cable, then you are not using the DAC in that device, you are sending a digi signal to the DAC that is in the receiving end of the cable.

The most important item for the RPi is for a rock-solid and robust power supply. The Allo Kali power supply and reclocker is an excellent choice!

This bundle makes an excellent piece of kit
Yeah - gettting a digi signal out is my main plan, But if the rpi hat dacs are better than the built in that might be a fun expiriment too! What sources do you normally use with your rpi?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah - gettting a digi signal out is my main plan, But if the rpi hat dacs are better than the built in that might be a fun expiriment too! What sources do you normally use with your rpi?
I typically use web radio (SomaFM), though the streaming quality is likely MP3 quality.

Or, FLAC straight from a USB drive or over the network.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Curious, what app are you using that isn't giving you gapless playback?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Most of them. GPM does, but Tidal, Spotify, Plex don't
I don't technically use chromecast, but my sheild TV has it built in. I'll try and see if Plex does it for me too. I don't use Tidal or Spotify, but do use GPM and have the same experience.

rekh127

rekh127

Audioholic Intern
Good question. I'm curious to whether this is just a app issue?
It is an app issue, but Its not one I have control over, and I wouldn't have on a different platform. The chromecast spec doesn't natively implement Gapless playback and so its more work for developers to do so.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
It is an app issue, but Its not one I have control over, and I wouldn't have on a different platform. The chromecast spec doesn't natively implement Gapless playback and so its more work for developers to do so.
That was my assumption, but I never really paid attention. I guess I've gotten used to gaps:eek:

I'm using Chromecast audio on 4 systems. Two it came built in. I like it, It can play the same thing in multiple rooms and in perfect sync and they're very inexpensive. I even plug one in a boom box with a powered USB port.

On my main system it's connected with toslink. I believe it's bit perfect when connected this way.

Spinningbull

Spinningbull

Enthusiast
[QUOTE="BoredSysAdmin, post: 1290781,

I have two RPi endpoints setup up, both with hifiberty hats, both going into a Yamaha 3070, ati amp, and m/l esl's.

One is the dac+ with xlr outs, and an ifi linear power supply. This box runs both plex amp and roon bridge.

The second has the digi+ hat, and currently is running ropiee.

The sound quality from both blows away almost everything else I've tried (roku, shield, chromecast ultra, aftv). They even ever so slightly beat the oppo 203 on a lot of content.

With a gun to my head, I might pick the digi+ over the dac+; maybe betraying a buas for the sabre over the burr brown dac. But I like that the dac+ will take anything I've got, not limited to the 192hz of the toslink.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

rekh127

rekh127

Audioholic Intern
[QUOTE="BoredSysAdmin, post: 1290781,

I have two RPi endpoints setup up, both with hifiberty hats, both going into a Yamaha 3070, ati amp, and m/l esl's.

One is the dac+ with xlr outs, and an ifi linear power supply. This box runs both plex amp and roon bridge.

The second has the digi+ hat, and currently is running ropiee.

The sound quality from both blows away almost everything else I've tried (roku, shield, chromecast ultra, aftv). They even ever so slightly beat the oppo 203 on a lot of content.

With a gun to my head, I might pick the digi+ over the dac+; maybe betraying a buas for the sabre over the burr brown dac. But I like that the dac+ will take anything I've got, not limited to the 192hz of the toslink.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk
Hey ! Thanks for this, very useful person experience.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis