Radio Shack Realistic Nova 8 Speakers

misternova8

misternova8

Enthusiast
Hello to all, i am new here and i am looking for information on the Nova 8 speakers. I purchased a pair from a yard sale. All the speakers are original and the foams like to be in perfect condition. The speaker boxes are in excellent condition, all four corners are intact.

Hooked them up and they sound great!!! Except i don't hear the tweeters in either speaker. Are the tweeters blown? How can I test it? Also is there anywhere i can purchase or replace them other tweeters?

Thank you

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The cost of replacing the tweeters are more than the speakers are worth. You can find some on ebay by looking up the search term "radio shack realistic nova tweeters". There are various prices for various quantities. I wouldn't bother though. Just toss them and look for better speakers.

misternova8

misternova8

Enthusiast
The speakers sound great without the tweeters but I know it will sound better.

If I don't find more tweeters I will part out the speakers and crossovers

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The speakers sound great without the tweeters but I know it will sound better.

If I don't find more tweeters I will part out the speakers and crossovers
I looked at the Nova 8 pictures. The tweeters are the old CTS phenolic dome tweeters. There is no dome about them though. They were cheap cone type tweeters which back in the 70s cost $1.50 each! They were widely used. They are actually still available for vintage restoration.

You can get them from Parts Express for $18.50 each.

That is definitely the one. Be careful on eBay as sellers are too stupid the tell the midrange from the tweeter. One word of caution those tweeters did burn out easily unless crossed over high. So a lot burnt out. So be careful how loud you play the speakers after repair. Those were a very low end "cheap and cheerful" unit.

highfigh

highfigh

I looked at the Nova 8 pictures. The tweeters are the old CTS phenolic dome tweeters. There is no dome about them though. They were cheap cone type tweeters which back in the 70s cost $1.50 each! They were widely used. They are actually still available for vintage restoration.

You can get them from Parts Express for $18.50 each.

That is definitely the one. Be careful on eBay as sellers are too stupid the tell the midrange from the tweeter. One word of caution those tweeters did burn out easily unless crossed over high. So a lot burnt out. So be careful how loud you play the speakers after repair. Those were a very low end "cheap and cheerful" unit.
Those were called 'Phenolic ring', not dome. They weren't able to handle much of, well, anything- clean or distorted. They did last longer if the crossover slope was steep and/or the F3 was higher. So many had a 3.3uF cap flying in the breeze inside the cabinet and nothing on the woofer- if the speaker had a mid, it was usually fed through a cap in the 10uF area.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Those were called 'Phenolic ring', not dome. They weren't able to handle much of, well, anything- clean or distorted. They did last longer if the crossover slope was steep and/or the F3 was higher. So many had a 3.3uF cap flying in the breeze inside the cabinet and nothing on the woofer- if the speaker had a mid, it was usually fed through a cap in the 10uF area.
The bottom line is that they are very nasty cheap cone tweeters, no matter what terms are used to gussie them up.

highfigh

highfigh

The bottom line is that they are very nasty cheap cone tweeters, no matter what terms are used to gussie them up.
No term is going to gussie those up. Still better than the piezoelectric ones with a plastic horn that were called 'Super tweeter'- those were brutal.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
No term is going to gussie those up. Still better than the piezoelectric ones with a plastic horn that were called 'Super tweeter'- those were brutal.
Oh lord. I remember those. It wasn't easy to listen to those speakers.

S

scsherer

Audiophyte
That's the reason they were sold as Pest Eliminators- mice and cockroaches couldn't stand them, either.
Newbie here. Unrelated question: I have a pair of those with the wooden grills and don't seem to be able to remove the grills! I'm afraid I'll bust the wood if I pry too hard. Model# 40-4026A. Help!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Newbie here. Unrelated question: I have a pair of those with the wooden grills and don't seem to be able to remove the grills! I'm afraid I'll bust the wood if I pry too hard. Model# 40-4026A. Help!
I had a look at the pictures. Honestly, I think these speakers were designed not to come apart. The grill is held in by a wooden molding, which I suspect is glued in place.
I suspect you will have to sacrifice that molding and replace it by constructing the parts.

S

scsherer

Audiophyte
I had a look at the pictures. Honestly, I think these speakers were designed not to come apart. The grill is held in by a wooden molding, which I suspect is glued in place.
I suspect you will have to sacrifice that molding and replace it by constructing the parts.
Actually, I got a flashlight and found the tiny hidden screws in each corner!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis