Quick Question Regarding Denon's "Source Level" Function

John Lohmann

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Much like Onkyo's old "IntelliVolume" system on their classic AVRs, Denon's receivers soldier on with what's called "Source Level," supposedly working the same wherein a certain preamp level can be set for each individual device connected, in a range from "-12dB to "+12dB."

While I do use the system for my Blu-ray player's connection to my AVR-X2800, I was wondering if the Source Level affects both DIGITAL and ANALOG sections of the AVR...does anyone know? I've read some conflicting stuff on this, with some saying it only works with analog sources. I'm hooked up only digitally from my Blu-ray player to the 2800 via HDMI, so I was curious.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
While I do use the system for my Blu-ray player's connection to my AVR-X2800, I was wondering if the Source Level affects both DIGITAL and ANALOG sections of the AVR...does anyone know? I've read some conflicting stuff on this, with some saying it only works with analog sources. I'm hooked up only digitally from my Blu-ray player to the 2800 via HDMI, so I was curious.
Is it not working on with your Blu Ray player?

On my Denon it clearly works with digital inputs. When adjusting the Source Level for the input on my Roku for instance, the output volume follows the adjustment. My assumption is that it's done digitally by increasing/decreasing the number that represents the output volume.

Likewise with Analog input signals, to the best of my knowledge with Denon AVRs (and probably most other modern AVRs), these signals are converted to digital before sending them to the amplifier. Thus, adjusting the source level works the same.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Denon separates analog vs digital gain with that function from what I've seen on my various Denon units and specifies it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis