Questions regarding HDMI dvd players/cables

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Hi everyone,

So I just bought a Panasonic S52 upconverting dvd player with an HDMI interface, and I'm pondering whether I should actually buy an HDMI cable given that the prices tend to be upwards of $100 at any given retail store. After doing some shopping online, I have come to the conclusion that I could pick up an HDMI cable for about $25 on newegg.com. What do you guys think? Is there really any noticable difference between Monster brand cables and off-brand cables? A cable is a cable, right? Heres the link for the one i'm talking about: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812105827

Where else would you guys recommend for me to buy online when it comes to these types of things?

Also, do you guys think that an HDMI connection would make that much of a difference when viewing dvds, compared to component cables? (I understand that the component cables can only carry images with a maximum resolution of 480p)

Lastly, If I do end up buying an HDMI cable, should I still use my digital coax/fiber optic cable for my audio output, or do you recommend that I run both the audio and video through the HDMI cable? In that case, I suppose I would connect it directly to my TV and use the fiber optic output on the tv to run it into my receiver since my receiver does not have any HDMI connections.

Sorry if many people have posted simular topics already.

Thanks for any help!

FierceTIMbo17

FierceTIMbo17

Audioholic
There are some topics about thsi great example look about 4 or 6 down and there is one by my saying how important are cables lots of useful info, monster you are paying for the name much like i learned, dont waste your money order online

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI cables

If you want HDMI, monoprice is another source for inexpensive cables. Many forum members have had sucess with these. Just don't expect a cheap cable to work for long distances like 100+ feet.

Also, pick up a digital coax or optical cable. I would recommend connecting this from the DVD player to the receiver. Make sure your DVD player is set to output audio over the coax or optical cable and not over HDMI.

majorloser

majorloser

jcPanny said:
Just don't expect a cheap cable to work for long distances like 100+ feet.
I don't think even the best HDMI cables would work at those lengths. I know they make fiber optic systems for runs of those lengths (HUGE bucks).

Monoprice.com has some good quality HDMI and DVI cables. Just try to buy the 22 ga. cables.

For digital audio, coax cable are cheaper (and can be self made). Run the digital cable from the DVD player to the receiver instead of through the TV.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I am not sure about the component cables and 480p issue but in many situations they work as well. Since your AVR isn't hdmi compatible you would be wise to still use the component cables & coax unless your dvd player came with the digital cable.:D
PS: I use the dvi/hdmi but the cable was included with my dvd player and some dvd players can do hd via component, it should say in manual.

Last edited:

hink

Audiophyte
where to buy HDMI cables

I went through the same thing with HDMI cables.
To darn expensive.
However, I needed a 50 foot cable to finish off my setup.
Best buy wanted 1100. for the cable. After I asked what their 35 foot cables were made of seeing how they wanted 500. for them.
any way to make a long story short. www.mycablemart.com 50foot HDMI cable was only 126.00 shipped and it's not a cheap cable it's made very well.
These guys that charge so much for cables are dreaming.
I've been in the pro audio business for 35 years and I still use 12 gauge electrical rubber wrapped cable you can buy at Home depot for 1 1.00 a foot and there is no loose what so ever, for all my my speaker systems I build.
I use twistlock plugs from eagle. and every cable I've made hasn't needed repair. I run crown, crest, carver, QSC,
I think Monster cable is so over rated and over priced, it's rediculos.
Yeah they have gold connectors but you still have to use sliver to solder.
So where is the electrical flow. people get to crazy about the flow of electrons for my taste. I get the same measurments of my test gear with the low budget as I do with the high end stuff. I'm not talkin Radio shack. But Big$$$ doesn't translate into topshelf. It just means someone has thrown enough technical BS to talk you into spending that kind of $$.
Bottom line use common sense. good luck

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
hink said:
I've been in the pro audio business for 35 years and I still use 12 gauge electrical rubber wrapped cable you can buy at Home depot for 1 1.00 a foot and there is no loose what so ever, for all my my speaker systems I build.

That is too expensive of a cable:D They have 12ga speaker wire for about
$.30/ft and low voltage landscape wire for less perhaps:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis