Questions from Newbie??????

W

wheelzman

Audiophyte
I am going to purchase a new system for my small room (13' x 15'). I now have a pair of old American Acoustics Labs floor speakers that have 12" woofers, 2-4" midranges and a 3" tweeter. Here is what I came up with:
Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK Plasma
Denon AVR-3806
Klipsch Quintet II
Pioneer DV-588A-S
:confused: Do I need a dedicated subwoofer or could I integrate the AAL speakers for this or do I just buy the side and rear speakers and use the AAL's? Also, does anyone have a preference as to Direct TV or DishNetwork TV? The Denon has HDMI but I don't think the Pioneer does. I am open for any input.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, American Acoustic.
There's a name I haven't heard for a long time.
Those speakers will do good justice to 2 channel music but for HT; yes you need a sub.
Good choice on the receiver, but it is definitely overkill for the speaker package you are looking at.
What is your budget?
You may be able to skimp a bit on the receiver to bring you up to better speakers and sub.

W

wheelzman

Audiophyte
Budget is in the 4K area. The Panasonic Plasma is going to run me about 2500 with the HDMI board. I think my brother can get me wholesale on the Denon so I would like to stay with this AVR. The surround sound I could probably handle 500 or a little more for the system. What do you suggest? Does the Pioneer DVD sound okay?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
While I'm not a huge Pioneer fan, I must admit the player looks pretty good for the money.
500 bucks is a tough budget for speakers and a sub. Post a link in the speaker section for better advise than I can give on that subject. Sorry:eek: .
My personal opinion, no offence, is that you need to allocate more towards the speakers, even if it means lowering your receiver allotment a bit.

W

wheelzman

Audiophyte
Well, that is a ballpark figure for the speakers. I read an article about some new company that has speakers that are real knockouts for a very reasonable price and I saved it but in the meantime my computer crashed and I am still searching for the review. I will investigate the speaker situation further and see what I can come up with. I appreciate the input. Thanks again.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Budget

Looks like your current budget is >$1K for receiver and $500 for speakers. To get audio quality to match your new HDTV, consider spending more on speakers.

Since you like Denon, consider last years 3805 model for $7-800. It has the same amps and features of the new model without the HDMI switching. Now pickup the new SVS 5.1 bookshelf and sub system for $900. You will have good bookshelf speakers and a killer 10" sub. I don't think it can be beat for the money.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
As others have said your speaker/receiver cost allocation is backwards. With all due respect, not just a little bit , but really, really backwards. The receiver has practically nothing to do with what your will hear. Speakers and room acoustics are almost everything. Assuming the 3807 is $1200, take $700 of that and buy a $500 receiver and add that $700 to your speaker budget. That will make a HUGH improvement in the sound you hear.

Nick

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
If 500bucks is all you have to speaker, the Velodyne Deco system fits that budget nicely.

SheepStar

W

wheelzman

Audiophyte
:( :( :( :eek: Okay, okay yous guys beat me up pretty good!!!!! I checked into the SVS SBS-01 5.1 system and it looks pretty good. Also, checked out the Velodyne Deco system and I can go to CC and hear that. The SVS's I don't know, I am checking into that to see if I can go listen to them as they are built here in Ohio. I think in Youngstown???? Is $1000.00 enough for a system? I think I forgot to mention that my room is only 13' x 15'. Pretty small for a big system and I don't usually turn it up so that the squirrels fall out of the trees. Oh well, there was that one time that involved new windows..... let's not talk about that now. I want something that sounds good at a lower level of volume. I appreciate the replies from all of you as I am at the DUH level when it comes to this stuff.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
Man those speakers are a good deal. The sub, while a good one, is not on sale though. Together they would make a great system. If I were starting out, I would surely get them. I don't think there is anything at the retail stores that can touch these even at twice the price. Good find, Zumbo.

Last edited:
W

wheelzman

Audiophyte
Thanks Zumbo. I will check these out too. How do you feel about the different types of subwoofers. Which do you like better bottom or front opening? Do you think the bottom would be better for my little room?:confused:

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
wheelzman said:
Thanks Zumbo. I will check these out too. How do you feel about the different types of subwoofers. Which do you like better bottom or front opening? Do you think the bottom would be better for my little room?:confused:
I am using a NHT SW-12 front firing that is ported in the front. You can get some nasty sounds out of that port from time-to-time. I would prefer a bottom firing that is ported in the back.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis