Question on types of Techflex

B

boe

Audioholic
I just wanted to make absolutely sure I get the right types since I'm a complete newbie on cabling. I like the slippery cloth like look and feel of the audiquest cables. I'd like some good ones that don't cost a fortune but have a high quality feel to them. I believe the techflex offered by most companies is the PET which is more plastic like. Could someone please give me the real facts since all I'm doing is stating my guesses.

Thanks

PS for anyone who cares I will be putting them on Canare 4S11 Cable if that has some bearing on this post.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
boe said:
I just wanted to make absolutely sure I get the right types since I'm a complete newbie on cabling. I like the slippery cloth like feel of the audiquest cables. I'd like some good ones that don't cost a fortune but have a high quality feel to them. I believe the techflex offered by most companies is the PET which is more plastic like. Could someone please give me the real facts since all I'm doing is stating my guesses.

Thanks

It is interesting that you would buy a speaker cable for their feel quality. New one on me ;)
If you want feel, you may have to pay for it. Cable for me is not to be seen after installation. Best out of sight, out of mind. It certainly is not affecting the sonic quality.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
I prefer to use that criteria when picking my pillows

B

boe

Audioholic
OK - I'll clarify - I want to build some cables using the Canare 4S11 but want to cover them with something to make them look better. I do understand techflex will not reduce EMI or improve the conductivity. There are areas where the speaker cable will be seen.

mtrycrafts - are you telling me you wouldn't bother to put hubcaps on your tires? They don't improve the gas mileage of your vehicle.

Last edited:
W

Willow

Audioholic Intern
I don't put hubcaps on my rims.....winter tires they end up looking like crap from all the salt and sant anyway. As for my summer one they are mags.
Why don't you just get a roll of silk and wrap your cables in that? or maybe lace?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
What's wrong with wanting your stuff to look nice? Audioholics rates cables when they're reviewed on their appearance, so it must have some weight. Obviously, if you're running them in walls, then you don't need your cables too look nice. But, if you have a dedicated room with cables that are very obvious, then I think some sleek Techflex is worth it. Face it: Canare's PVC jacketing isn't all that attractive. Part of what makes a system high-end is the fit and finish of the components. Part of the reason you buy certain things is because they will look good and impress your friends. Now, you can have the exact same cable (4S11) with and without techflex. No matter how you shake or bake it, the one that looks really nice will impress people more and just give your system a more high-end and cohesive look.

Well, there's my 2 cents. Just the long way of saying to not poke fun at people for wanting their hi-fi stuff to sound AND look nice.

W

Willow

Audioholic Intern
That's pathetic doing it to impress your friends ? are you going to uy a BMW to impress your friends? Do it for you and cause you want it.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Only if

Hey MUDCAT

"If you throw a cat out of a car window, does it become kitty litter? "

Only if it doesn't land on its feet! :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

boe said:
OK - I'll clarify - I want to build some cables using the Canare 4S11 but want to cover them with something to make them look better. I do understand techflex will not reduce EMI or improve the conductivity. There are areas where the speaker cable will be seen.

mtrycrafts - are you telling me you wouldn't bother to put hubcaps on your tires? They don't improve the gas mileage of your vehicle.
Hubcaps or open center axle hubs and lug nuts are hard to hide from view :D Speaker cables are not.
But, if you will see them, then use whatever cover will please you, not me or anyone else.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

jaxvon said:
What's wrong with wanting your stuff to look nice? Audioholics rates cables when they're reviewed on their appearance, so it must have some weight. Obviously, if you're running them in walls, then you don't need your cables too look nice. But, if you have a dedicated room with cables that are very obvious, then I think some sleek Techflex is worth it. Face it: Canare's PVC jacketing isn't all that attractive. Part of what makes a system high-end is the fit and finish of the components. Part of the reason you buy certain things is because they will look good and impress your friends. Now, you can have the exact same cable (4S11) with and without techflex. No matter how you shake or bake it, the one that looks really nice will impress people more and just give your system a more high-end and cohesive look.

Well, there's my 2 cents. Just the long way of saying to not poke fun at people for wanting their hi-fi stuff to sound AND look nice.
Nothing wrong with making any part of your system look nice, if that is important to the owner :D
His post seemd like he was after something else?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis