Question on Atmos height speakers

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I'm looking to add the 4 Atmos in-ceiling speakers and an additional sub to my 5.1 setup. Couple questions on this:

1. Do the Atmos height speakers need to be the same speaker brand/line as my mains? I currently use Aperion Verus series speakers for my mains, which I love, but their in-ceilings run ~ $300/pr, and if I can get the same result with cheaper Monoprice speakers, obviously I'd rather save the money.

2. While I see a lot of receivers that advertise themselves as "Dolby Atmos" capable, they typically only have outputs for 2 height speakers. How do you wire the other 2 speakers? Do you share the posts (which would seem odd)?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm looking to add the 4 Atmos in-ceiling speakers and an additional sub to my 5.1 setup. Couple questions on this:

1. Do the Atmos height speakers need to be the same speaker brand/line as my mains? I currently use Aperion Verus series speakers for my mains, which I love, but their in-ceilings run ~ $300/pr, and if I can get the same result with cheaper Monoprice speakers, obviously I'd rather save the money.

2. While I see a lot of receivers that advertise themselves as "Dolby Atmos" capable, they typically only have outputs for 2 height speakers. How do you wire the other 2 speakers? Do you share the posts (which would seem odd)?
The height speakers don't absolutely have to be from the same line, but it is encouraged. It would be better if it were, but it will probably still sound fine if it isn't.

Most AVRs that have Atmos only support 9 channels. If you want the 11 channel ones, you are going to have to look at higher end AVRs. They won't be nearly as cheap as the 9 channel ones.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I only need 9 channels, but can I assign 4 channels to the height speakers? I'd want the normal L/R/C/Surrounds and then 4 height speakers. Wasn't sure if I could assign 4 height speakers if there were only inputs for 2 (meaning I wasn't sure the processor in the AVR would recognize 4 height speakers)

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I think it's best that all speakers are timbre matched in an Atmos system, since objects can be moved fluidly all around the room. Any mismatch in my experience will stick out like a sore thumb. Also unlike traditional 5.1, you'll probably experience a lot more content in the surrounds and even heights, all full range and full level, so don't think of them as "extra speakers" you can skimp on.

What are the other speakers used? It's also possible to use ceiling mounted vs in ceiling to get an even better timbre match, depending on the speakers.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I think it's best that all speakers are timbre matched in an Atmos system, since objects can be moved fluidly all around the room. Any mismatch in my experience will stick out like a sore thumb. Also unlike traditional 5.1, you'll probably experience a lot more content in the surrounds and even heights, all full range and full level, so don't think of them as "extra speakers" you can skimp on.

What are the other speakers used? It's also possible to use ceiling mounted vs in ceiling to get an even better timbre match, depending on the speakers.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
The mains are Aperion Verus series and I use the Aperion Intimus bipoles as surrounds today. I would add the Aperion Intimus in-ceilings as height channels per your suggestion.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis