Question from newbie about bookshelf speakers

J

jah732

Audiophyte
I bought Titans as my front speakers. I was planning to place these on top of short bookcases, not on speaker stands. Is there any underlayment/ padding/ spikes, etc that I should use to ensure both stability and quality of sound? I seem to remember reading somewhere on the Paradigm site that you can get special isolation pads for bookshelf speakers. Are these worth getting?

Thanks

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
You woudn't want spikes; they couple rather than isolate the speaker. Before spending top dollar on specialized isolation stuff, try heavy-duty rubber or silicone stick-on feet from the hardware store. Might be all you need to keep the bookshelf from "singing along". And of course if the bookshelf is already full of books that helps a lot, too.

If reflections/diffraction from the top of the bookshelf are a concern try something like heavy felt or a piece of carpet covering the shelf instead of the feet. You could probably find a 'table runner' made of reasonably heavy fabric in the linens or tablewear section of a dept. store, or someplace like Pier One or Bed, Bath & Beyond that would be more stylish if that's important.

J

jah732

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice Rip Van Woofer. I had a feeling the specialized isolation pads would be pricey, although I never discussed them with the place I got my speakers. I am going to try silicone feet and see how that goes. - jah732

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
Get a package of Velcro that tapes onto objects and use it, me and my dad have and it tranfers mids and mid bass fairly well, believe it or not.

~Bob

W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
I buy pads of felt at craft stores and place those between the speaker and the stand, pretty much just for scratch protection.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Most grocery stores have 8" square rubber 'grippy pads' that are supposed to be used for opening stubborn jars. They make excellant cheap non-slip surfacing for speakers.

also consider Blu-Tack

and I think my Atoms came with stick-on speaker "feet" (I know my PSB's did). so you might not need to make a second store-run after all.

M

m1abrams

Audioholic Intern
I am in a similiar situation.

Was thinking of using that rubber mat stuff that looks like a hole bunch of rubber beads in a screen type fashion. It is used mainly for a non-slip surface, boaters use it ALOT.

Seems like it should work as a good isolator and also prevent scratches.

What do y'all think?

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
m1abrams said:
I am in a similiar situation.

Was thinking of using that rubber mat stuff that looks like a hole bunch of rubber beads in a screen type fashion. It is used mainly for a non-slip surface, boaters use it ALOT.

Seems like it should work as a good isolator and also prevent scratches.

What do y'all think?
Sounds good. A lighter-duty version is sold in stores for lining drawers; that'd work too. And it comes in purty colors! ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis