Question for gamers

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
My son is 20 and loves racing games on his xbox. Thinking about ordering him a steering wheel, shifter, and pedals controller.

Are these worth it? Do most gamers want them or do you prefer to use the regular controllers?

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Wheels are always better than sticks for driving games. Throttle and shifter are nice as well. Logitech and Thrustmaster are nice setups as well as saitek for racing and flight controls.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah, wheels are a big step up from controllers. There is only so well you can play with controllers, they put a ceiling on how well you can do. A wheel is basically a must-have for any hardcore racing sim fan.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's a short distance from racing games to racing sims. Depending on how serious your son is, the quality of racing wheels and pedals doesn't stop with Logitechs and Thrustmasters. Look up Fatatec. I own a Fanatec xbox360/pc set but due to kids I haven't touched it in years.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This is something I've considered getting. Gran Turismo is my go to for racing games, but I've never found a wheel/pedal combo that didn't feel "fake"

Those Fatatec setups look nice, but geeze they aren't playing around.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
When I play Gran Turismo it sounds like an old arcade with all my button mashing!

The wheels are cool, but I like having a wireless controller and not having to deal with all the equipment to move around.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This is something I've considered getting. Gran Turismo is my go to for racing games, but I've never found a wheel/pedal combo that didn't feel "fake"

Those Fatatec setups look nice, but geeze they aren't playing around.
I own a relatively an "entry" level kit, but the "clubsports" cost pretty penny as you've noticed.
That said, they feel much more realistic than cheap wheels and they are MILES better than using regular console controllers. The force feedback and 1080 degrees turning, both of these make wheel feel much more realistic

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis