Question for Buckeyefan1

E

ew110254

Enthusiast
Thanks for your help concerning my speaker configuration.

Now, what do you think about the HGS10? Do I need to shell out the doe they want for this, or would something else go good with my 804's, say like the SPL800?

I have a room 16' x 22' and really don't want eartshattering bass, just good, crisp, clean bass at reasonable sound levels? Do you have an opinion on the B&W subs vs. Velodyne?

Thanks again,
ew

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
ew110254 said:
I have a room 16' x 22' and really don't want eartshattering bass, just good, crisp, clean bass at reasonable sound levels? Do you have an opinion on the B&W subs vs. Velodyne?

Thanks again,
ew

SVS Subs E-mail them, and give them your room dimensions. Tell then what you use your system for ( % music, % home theater) and they will recommend a sub. They will not over sell you, and there customer service is the best. Nothing really can compare to a SVS Sub. Take a look for yourself.
There Subs start at------PB10-ISD $429

www.svsubwoofers.com

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
ew110254 said:
Thanks for your help concerning my speaker configuration.

Now, what do you think about the HGS10? Do I need to shell out the doe they want for this, or would something else go good with my 804's, say like the SPL800?

Thanks again,
ew
The HGS10 is probably one of the best subwoofers made for home audio. I also like the Martin Logans. The SPL800 is another highly rated sub, but I think you may be happier with something like this on a cost-benefit analysis.

www.hsustore.com/vtf3.html

SVS also makes some very nice subs that are highly regarded in best bang for the buck. Some of these subs are huge, so take into consideration the amount of room you have to work with. What budget would you like to stay at, and what is the largest dimension your corner can handle?

E

ew110254

Enthusiast
to Buckeyefan1

My corner space is tight but I could certainly put a 10" sub in either corner on the listening area side. The far corners are really out of the question. The most free space I have would be next to the couch (the listening area). I've heard that you can place a sub there and may have good results. But space is another reason for me considering the smaller HGS10.

As for bang, if I really don't want the earthshattering bass, would there be any reason to go with a large sub. I've been reading in this forum about the SVS subs, but everyone seems to talk bang and I really don't hear a lot about quality sound. I'm all ears on feedback in that area.

As for cost, I can put out the money for the HGS10, but I don't want to waste money either if another brand sub, or another Velodyne product will give me what I want. Like I said before, I'd just like to compliment my 804's, not detract from them nor overdo it.

Thanks again for everyones patience. This is a great forum! Maybe even some day I will be giving advise!!
ew

E

ew110254

Enthusiast
And....

Thanks for the info. on the VTF sub. I'll look into that one.
ew

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
ew110254 said:
As for bang, if I really don't want the earthshattering bass, would there be any reason to go with a large sub. I've been reading in this forum about the SVS subs, but everyone seems to talk bang and I really don't hear a lot about quality sound. I'm all ears on feedback in that area.

ew
SVS's smallest sub don't put out Earthshattering Bass. and SVS's smallest sub sound better then most company's larger subs. SVS aren't all about earthshattering bass. As far as quality, the best, if not one of the best. Beat my Definitive Technology Supercube Reference. You can try an SVS sub, and return it if your not happy with it.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
As far as SVS and Hsu go, here is something from someone that has owned both:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234165

Buckeye, I am in total agreement with you. Many folks do not understand or have heard nuances of bass when it comes to subs. I think that poster hit the nail on the head.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Buckeyefan 1 said:
EW,
If cost is not a factor, go demo a Martin Logan sub. They are the best sounding subs I've ever heard, and you can place them anywhere.
What do you mean anywhere? You mean the soundfield FR from that sub is not affected by room modes??? Or, they will physically fit.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
What do you mean anywhere? You mean the soundfield FR from that sub is not affected by room modes??? Or, they will physically fit.
I was thinking he meant physically fit. Any/every sub is affected by room gain and modes.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
While on a visit to north Dallas last summer, a friend and I went out and demo'd equipment for three days straight. Just about every subwoofer we demo'd benefitted with a corner placement (my ongoing suggestions here for subs). When we encountered the ML subs, the owner of this one particular shop made a statement that his Descent sub could be placed in the center of the room with outstanding results. This room was probably 40' x 40' with a concrete floor. Our half witted smiles ran ear to ear. We started out with the sub in the corner. It was awe inspiring. Then the sub was moved about 20' back and 3' from the side wall. Still awe inspiring - which floored us being that far from the wall and halfway back. Finally, the guy put the sub behind us (we were on chairs in the center of the room) and the results never let up. Words failed us. You see the price of this unit and say "no way." Then you audition this piece, and it defies logic. There was obviously some loss of bass as the unit was moved out of the corner, then into the room. I will repeat - you can place that sub anywhere (in a room) and obtain surprising results. It's worth a trip to hear it.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Interesting. You didn't happen to take FR measurements did you?

Center of the room and nearfield are usually good places for a sub. It is just that most of us do not have those placement options.

I having a bit problem picturing the 20' back, 3' from the wall position. Would that be center of the back wall, and 3' from the wall?

My guess is that the salesrep knew the good places for the sub....good training. Being able to place the sub "anywhere" with the same results defies physics. Those subs also do not have any EQing features.

ML subs are excellent though, and I don't know anybody that would deny that if they heard one properly set-up.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
No measurements. Would have been interesting though.

The room was 40x40, so the sub was on the left wall, half way back, and 3' from the wall. No bass traps. We actually moved the sub to that position, knowing it was a weak point to put a sub. Keep in mind, this is a huge room. The specs on this thing are amazing. The EQing or controls are behind the grill. See photo below.

Frequency Response: 18–150 Hz ±3 dB
Anechoic through LFE input.
Input Impedance: 20,000 ohms
Crossover Frequency : 40, 70 Hz
Phase: 0°, 90°, 180°, 270°
25Hz Level Control: ±12 dB
Woofer type: 3 x 10" (25.4cm) high excursion, aluminium core cones with extended throw driver assembly in a BalancedForce™ array
Amplifier: 400 watts rms (800 watts peak) 0.07% THD
Inputs: RCA Line Level; RCA and XLR LFE
Output: RCA
Weight: 95 lbs
(43.2kg)
Dimensions: 21.75" H x 20" W x 18.25" D
(55.3 x 50.8 x 46.4cm)

Attachments

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
I think one of the Harmon/Kardan papers state that it halfway points on walls is a good position. I could be wrong.

I don't see any EQ controls, but it is interesting that the level is set to the 25hz signal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis