Question born of ignorance

N

notbraveheart

Audiophyte
My receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR 805. For about the last 8 years, I've been using a 2.1 Logitech system as computer speakers. Loved em! But, blew them up last week. So, I plugged the computer sound card into the Onkyo. It has about 130 watts per channel. Using Sony BD player, I can't turn its volume over 60 (out of 100). Walls will crack, windows shake, wife..................................................never mind what she does! Here is the lame brained question: I assume the actual output from the PC is relatively small. So, I have to turn the Onkyo way up.......95-96-97.......still it isn't "earth shaking"! Am I missing something? Is there such a thing as an amp for this situation? Thanks in advance for your response.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Media speakers and home theater speakers are intended for different applications. As a result, their electrical requirements differ significantly.

Keep your Onkyo and go buy these: EOS 150 SP

Seriously, for $100 you cannot go wrong, and as I am in the middle of comparing speakers costing thousands, I can tell you honestly that these little boxes are so well designed they should be dubbed 'Bose Slayers.'

Read the articles on the site and forum about better ways to get your PC and Onkyo to play together.

And then save up for a subwoofer, and welcome to Audioholism!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR 805. For about the last 8 years, I've been using a 2.1 Logitech system as computer speakers. Loved em! But, blew them up last week. So, I plugged the computer sound card into the Onkyo. It has about 130 watts per channel. Using Sony BD player, I can't turn its volume over 60 (out of 100). Walls will crack, windows shake, wife..................................................never mind what she does! Here is the lame brained question: I assume the actual output from the PC is relatively small. So, I have to turn the Onkyo way up.......95-96-97.......still it isn't "earth shaking"! Am I missing something? Is there such a thing as an amp for this situation? Thanks in advance for your response.
I have never had a problem getting a sound card to output a line level signal.

Have you looked at the settings of your sound card, to see if there is an output adjustment.

If not, I would bet that you can find a sound card that will.

I have done this now for about 20 years and have never used "computer speakers". If you have a nice sound system, who wants to listen to those?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Keep your Onkyo and go buy these: EOS 150 SP

Seriously, for $100 you cannot go wrong, and as I am in the middle of comparing speakers costing thousands, I can tell you honestly that these little boxes are so well designed they should be dubbed 'Bose Slayers.'
They slay more than just Bose - they are my retail reference speakers
for under $400.

I would contact Solid Signal before buying - as they pull the speakers
from somewhere else - to confirm that you can get them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis