Question before i buy focal branded headphones

H

Heartless

Audiophyte
hi there new to this forum and focal branded headphones i have been researching and watching/reading alot of reviews it appears this brand is marketed for the high end and have been wanting to upgrade from sennheisers. i have a closed back headphone from sennheiser they are momentum 4 wireless headphones and true wireless momentum 4 earbuds i got them for about a month now and i am not impressed (i bought these 2 blind without testing) so im looking to upgrade yet again and my budget is $2000 for a new pair of headphones so i want to know how does focal clear MG vs focal hadenys sound like? i am very into bass and want clarity as well as i only listen to EDM genre of music. i have searched everywhere for a review comparing focal hadenys vs focal clear mg and cannot find it anywhere as people are comparing between price tags and not entry/mid level open back headphones from focal so now i am here.

Entry Open back headphones Focal hadenys released in 2024
Mid level open back headphones Focal clear mg released in 2021

TLDR: Focal clear MG vs Focal hadenys what sounds better for a EDM junkie?

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
You would only know that by actually putting them both on your head ! (not at once :) )
Unlikely that someone has both to make the comparison.
My opinion is that closed back phones should deliver better bass....but, that's just a opinion and is hard to prove or disprove subjectively.

H

Heartless

Audiophyte
You would only know that by actually putting them both on your head ! (not at once :) )
Unlikely that someone has both to make the comparison.
My opinion is that closed back phones should deliver better bass....but, that's just a opinion and is hard to prove or disprove subjectively.
thank you for reply the area i live in extremely lacks carrying these high end audiophile head phones as i cannot find any stores in my area to test so i have to go by reviews and buy them blind like i did with sennheisers :(

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
thank you for reply the area i live in extremely lacks carrying these high end audiophile head phones as i cannot find any stores in my area to test so i have to go by reviews and buy them blind like i did with sennheisers :(
That's the case with just about every audio product nowadays though....just buy from Amazon or similar so you can return them if you are not satisfied. Try the cheaper one first.

Even if you read 20 reviews that say either sound great, you might think different with your ears and your brain !

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
hi there new to this forum and focal branded headphones i have been researching and watching/reading alot of reviews it appears this brand is marketed for the high end and have been wanting to upgrade from sennheisers. i have a closed back headphone from sennheiser they are momentum 4 wireless headphones and true wireless momentum 4 earbuds i got them for about a month now and i am not impressed (i bought these 2 blind without testing) so im looking to upgrade yet again and my budget is $2000 for a new pair of headphones so i want to know how does focal clear MG vs focal hadenys sound like? i am very into bass and want clarity as well as i only listen to EDM genre of music. i have searched everywhere for a review comparing focal hadenys vs focal clear mg and cannot find it anywhere as people are comparing between price tags and not entry/mid level open back headphones from focal so now i am here.

I can't help you find a direct one on one comparison, but here is a review of each by the same guy from Head-Fi:
Hope this helps you to make a decision.
PS: I've listened to the Focal Clear in the past. Nothing to complain about, that's for sure.

H

Heartless

Audiophyte
I can't help you find a direct one on one comparison, but here is a review of each by the same guy from Head-Fi:
Hope this helps you to make a decision.
PS: I've listened to the Focal Clear in the past. Nothing to complain about, that's for sure.
thank you ! i will watch these reviews

T

TankTop5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Open back headphones will be significantly better than closed but you’ll also need a competent headphone DAC and amp. $2,000 to way more than you need and while Focal makes great headphones there are much better options that will keep you under your budget for a complete setup.

I have Sennheiser HD6xx’s and a Topping DX3 Pro+, total cost under $500 including shipping and taxes. This combination is arguably as good as anything at any price point and they can produce all the bass you can handle up to hearing loss.

Don’t get lost in the weeds but I suggest you check out Audio Science Review on this topic. ASR has much more information and data on headphones, DAC’s and amps than this site although there are plenty of members here who can stear you in the right direction as well.

I absolutely DO NOT recommend buying a $2,000 pair of headphones a couple months into a hobby, as you gain experience and your personal taste matures you’ll discover what you like, starting off expensive can be a huge waste of money.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Closed-back should deliver MORE bass, not better bass. Open-back phones are easier to wear longer, and I prefer their sound quality. Wireless headphones will never compete with wired ones in terms of sound quality.
Too bad you're not near me (east coast) - I have gently used AGK K712 Pro (made in Austria, not China as recent ones) - they have in particular extra bass and are extremely comfortable to wear. I still prefer the overall sound of my HD600s. I made a small EQ tweak to compensate for a bit of bass lack on HD600 and they sound even better than stock now.
According to rtings, best-measured audiophile headphones are Sennheiser HD800 S, which are upgraded HD600.
They also mentioned that if you want even more bass, then HiFiMan Arya may be what you're looking for.
They have the best bass accuracy I've ever seen on rtings and bass extension down to 36hz (-3.5db)

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Headphones are not for everyone. Some people, myself included, would rather have silence than listen with headphones no matter how much they cost. When I was recording for radio work in years past, I mixed on speakers. If I used phones I messed up the mix.

One thing I do know, is that if you want any reasonable sound, then stay away from closed back phones. The bass is false on the lot of them. The only reason for using them is to not annoy others, so you get isolation.

Of all the headphones I have tried, Senns have always been the best. I used to use phones for reel to reel tape editing. Now I used wav.files and a DAW, I barely touch my phones.

Q

quattro_98

Audioholic Intern
Where are you located? When I listen to headphones, I want less sound leakage for others and a little isolation. If I'm going to use open back headphones, I might as well use my nearfield monitors and just close the door.

My splurge upgrade is the Dan Clark E3.

Q

quattro_98

Audioholic Intern
For your bass preferences, the ability to use tone controls and EQ in your system is a nice thing. RME is a great option for a nice DAC/headphone amp in the upper price ranges.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis