Question about projection screen material

H

heightshare

Audioholic Intern
Hello everybody, I am building my home theater, in controlled lightroom, the projector is JVC RS2000, and I have a question about building my projection screen.

I would like to know, will I see a really, big noticeable difference talking about image quality,
between using let's say, dedicated cloth material as the one being sold at Carl's Place,
and a regular blackout cloth material used for window curtains?

The main thing is due I live in Argentina, buying at Carl's Place represents me very high shipping and fees cost rather than buying a regular blackout cloth here,
but if the image quality is really noticeable or improved,
I will choose to buy from Carl's Place then.

H

heightshare

Audioholic Intern
Hello everybody, I am building my home theater, in controlled lightroom, the projector is JVC RS2000, and I have a question about building my projection screen.

I would like to know, will I see a really, big noticeable difference talking about image quality,
between using let's say, dedicated cloth material as the one being sold at Carl's Place,

The main thing is due I live in Argentina, buying at Carl's Place represents me very high shipping and fees cost rather than buying a regular blackout cloth here,
best tig welding helmat
Thanks a lot for your opinions and advice!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I have no idea of the reflectivity of that curtain material. I doubt it is specified. For a projector screen the material has to have high reflectivity, or the quality will be poor.

In addition, if the screen is large then the center needs to be placed behind the screen, and you need acoustically transparent material. To be honest I don't rate the chances high for the success of your plan.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
There is a plethora of information out there on how to build your own DIY projector screen. The best material for it (so I've heard), is spandex. That being said, you're likely better off buying one. I was going to make one myself, but by the time I factored in materials cost, time and everything else it wasn't much more to just buy a decent screen. And I'm a ticketed Journeyman Carpenter with the skills, and tools necessary to do it myself. Keep in mind if you're not that handy, or don't have the tools, it probably won't end well.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
If I had the chance to do it all over again I might have gone the extra mile by gettings samples and comparing the light interaction with the projector. My Silver Ticket Screen is so reflective that my Epson UB5050 from 20 feet away is still too bright on eco mode that I can't quite get blackest blacks. A 1.1 gain is too much at that distance where maybe a gray screen or something in the .9 gain range would have been perfect.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It depends on your room and the screen size. I would look around for local manufacturers and who may be a more competitive price for sure.
I've used blackout cloth for a screen, and while I found it acceptable for a lesser expensive setup, the material didn't stretch well and wasn't a consistent thickness throughout the material. I would not use blackout cloth again. Plus, it was painful to build a screen. Not hard, but it took hours of work to put it all together and building a proper black border for it wasn't easy. It did look decent when I was done, but a product like a Silver Ticket screen was WAY less of a hassle and produced a much nicer final result overall.

I'm not sure in your area what may be available to you as options, like Silver Ticket or Elite Screens, but if I was struggling to get a quality material, then I might just paint a screen, assuming you don't need an acoustically transparent screen. If you do need a AT screen, spandex is often the material of choice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis