Question about DualDisk

J

jdallen23

Enthusiast
I have recently just done a couple of quick google searches on the Dual Disk format and I can't see to find any explanation of the format. I am curious, is it just a double sided disk with lo-rez audio on one side and multi-media on the other? Or, do they vary from disk to disk, with some hi-rez stereo/hi-rez multi-channel with multi-media on the other??

If anyone could please explain this format to me I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

J

jdallen23

Enthusiast
Actually I was meaning these kinds of disks.

~reading that clip I see that they say it has a second version of the CD in 5.1 surround sound, but I am wondering if it is high rez?

3beanlimit

Junior Audioholic
Yep...a redbook layer on one side and a multimedia on the other. '

It depends on what you buy as to what you get on the DVD side. Any in the Sony label, won't have DVD-A but should have a Dolby Digital surround mix....and some will have a bit more than lyrics and such for the video portion.

I've only one...Blues Traveler. The surround mix is DVD-A 24 bit 96 kHz. So it just depends on what you buy.

To make matters worse, sometimes the jacket doesn't even specify what's on it and to look at them on Amazon or another retailer, they don't list it either.

Again, if the artist is on the Sony label, you can bet there won't be a hi rez version on the disk.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I for one refuse to buy Dual Discs, at least so far. They're seriously out-of-spec on the Redbook side, and perhaps the DVD side, too. They even warn on the case that they "may not play in all players." Really? Why the hell would I buy a product whose manufacturer admits may not work? Early reports (unconfirmed by me) indicate that Macs won't play them.

Almost worse yet, I've read that their may be longevity problems with the discs. Just as bad, the "Redbook" layer holds roughly 10-12 minutes less than the official spec indicates, and considerably less than the 80 minutes most of us are accustomed too.

Lastly, the discs actually cost more to make right now that it would cost to simply include both a DVD-A & CD in the same case (a la Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots").

All in all, Dual Disc seems like the perfect solution to a nonexistant problem.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
They are crap. Don't buy them.

The recording industry's idea on dualdisc is more content will increase sales. At least two audio/HT mags have published warnings on DualDiscs. Also, there are stories out there of them getting stuck in slot load CD players(think your car) because of the non-standard thickness.

DualDiscs do not meet redbook guidelines and can damage your player.

Harman International has made it policy that DualDisc use voids the warranty. That means the following brands which fall under the Harman umbella have no warranty w/ DualDiscs Harman Kardon, JBL, Infinity, Revel, Audioaccess, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Madrigal Imaging, and Proceed.

Other companies that have advisories against using DualDiscs while they study them include; Pioneer, Toshiba, Onkyo, Marantz(I'd assume this means Denon too as they have the same parent company), and Sony. In Sony's case their computer entertainment division said "some DualDisks may be unreadable on its Playstation consoles-----And it also warned that, for certain models, playing a DualDisc when the console is in a verticle position 'may damage the disc, the console, or both."

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis