Question About Bi-Amping & Crossover

LoriQ

LoriQ

Enthusiast
It would be easier if you give me the player's model number then I can tell you for sure. Normally, people would set the player to "bitstream", so that the AVR or AVP will do the decoding, otherwise the media player will end up doing it and output to the AVR in PCM. If you AVR displays something like Dolby Digital+Dobby surround, Dolby Digital+PLIIx, DTSHD+Neural X, then you know the AVR is doing the decoding. If the display shows "Multi Ch in", "Stereo", or something like that, then the media player is doing the decoding.
My blu-ray player's model number is BDP-S6700. I do have my blu-ray player set to bitstream. When watching a movie that is encoded in DTS-HD Master my AVR displays DTS-HD MA.

LoriQ

LoriQ

Enthusiast
I thought you didn't use an avr but rather an integrated amp? What model is your Yamaha? In your Yamaha do you have the mains set to small and a crossover set accordingly? I'm not familiar with a "Bass Out" option.
No, I do use an avr. My Yamaha's model is RX-V681. I have all my speakers set to small and the crossovers set to 80hz.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd try the Blu-ray for the decoding to see if you hear a difference.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
On page 30 of the manual, states to set output to pcm. Make sure to turn off convert DTS to DD option also.
Tried to upload a screenshot but it's too large apparently

LoriQ

LoriQ

Enthusiast
On page 30 of the manual, states to set output to pcm. Make sure to turn off convert DTS to DD option also.
Ok I just looked. If I output to PCM will I still get surround sound?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Glad you mentioned the specific player, I also have an S6700. Unfortunately the only pcm it will export is 2.0.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Be nice if the manual showed the info that it doesn't have the ability to send out but PCM 2.0.

So it Downmixes all? Go figure
Just doesn't decode the codecs lossy or not. Assumed the 2.0 is the core.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I thought you didn't use an avr but rather an integrated amp? What model is your Yamaha? In your Yamaha do you have the mains set to small and a crossover set accordingly? I'm not familiar with a "Bass Out" option.
You probably forgot, it was a long time ago. I wanted a stereo amp and came here with a lot of questions about it, but I ended up being talked into buying an AVR. I have no regrets, it serves me well, but I still play it as a 2ch amp. Never used anything it has to offer. I bypass the entire DSP. I wanted to take a pic of the manual, but my phone makes very lousy pics:
1534404004912.jpeg
You can at least see the Bass Out option (top of the chapter, it appears on the display as well). Although, to correct myself, if you choose SW, the mains are not getting the full signal. With options "BOTH" and "MAIN" they do.

It is the RX-V496RDS.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Glad you mentioned the specific player, I also have an S6700. Unfortunately the only pcm it will export is 2.0.
Are you sure? Even my oldest Sony BDP is able to output 7.1 Multi channel in DTS-HDMSTR!!
The instructional manual reads the same as the BDP-S6700, that just say select PCM, no mentioning of any limitation to 2 channel only.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
HD said no, but I think you should try it because even my cheapest and oldest Sony BDP can output discrete surround sound in PCM. Depending on the disc (some has the stereo track also) being played and your selection, it may default to Stereo, then you just have to press "audio" button on the remote and toggle the sections, or get into the disc menu to select DDTHD, DTS-HD etc.

You really should try it because if that fixes the issue then there could be something wrong with your AVR and you should send it in or get it replaced if it is still within the return window.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you sure? Even my oldest Sony BDP is able to output 7.1 Multi channel in DTS-HDMSTR!!
The instructional manual reads the same as the BDP-S6700, that just say select PCM, no mentioning of any limitation to 2 channel only.
I'm sure. Believe me I tried when I first got it before I researched it. They were able to lower price apparently by not having to license that technology. This model also has no analog outputs. The sister models (1700, 3700) also didn't have the decoding feature any longer (my S5100 can do it, tho). I read that some early blurays had lpcm tracks and it can pass those okay here on this page in this official thread on avsforum. Still a cool little player and can do everything needed by hdmi (including multich dsd).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You probably forgot, it was a long time ago. I wanted a stereo amp and came here with a lot of questions about it, but I ended up being talked into buying an AVR. I have no regrets, it serves me well, but I still play it as a 2ch amp. Never used anything it has to offer. I bypass the entire DSP. I wanted to take a pic of the manual, but my phone makes very lousy pics:
View attachment 25462
You can at least see the Bass Out option (top of the chapter, it appears on the display as well). Although, to correct myself, if you choose SW, the mains are not getting the full signal. With options "BOTH" and "MAIN" they do.

It is the RX-V496RDS.
I did forget :)....it has been a while! No need for pics, easier to view manuals on line with just make/model.

I'd not call Bass Out the option but rather the heading for the options in the manual. Some avrs would refer to SW as LFE, and the combination mode as LFE+Main or Double Bass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis