Question about Atmos speaker layout in relation to null areas

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
Do I need to think about null zones like don't place speakers in the middle of a wall when it comes to atmos ceiling speakers? After measuring I found that my front speakers would be fairly close to the center of the wall/room in relation to idea angles from the seating position. Also, should I be concerned about 24"x24" to the center of the speaker for the rears in the corner of the room? Am I confusing this whole ordeal with sub placement and lower frequencies which aren't necessarily important with the atmos channels?

Ignore the excess dotted lines, was thinking about contracting out the wire work but will be going in my sauna attic to do it myself.

ATMOS Layout.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would put those 4 ceiling speakers closer to your listening position, so probably 36" from the sides.

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
I would put those 4 ceiling speakers closer to your listening position, so probably 36" from the sides.
What about the recommendations that they be in-line with the front and rear speakers or as close as possible to in-line?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What about the recommendations that they be in-line with the front and rear speakers or as close as possible to in-line?
It's a general guideline. 24" from the sides will work.

I prefer my Atmos speakers be closer to me than to the sides.

But I just realized the entire width of your room is only 13.5FT. So pretty much anywhere on the ceiling isn't far anyway. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The thing is, these are only guidelines. Atmos is quite forgiving, so as long as you can be in the neighborhood, you’ll be fine. It’s easy to overthink but just do your best. FWIW, more importantly than being in line with your mains is this grid.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Do I need to think about null zones like don't place speakers in the middle of a wall when it comes to atmos ceiling speakers? After measuring I found that my front speakers would be fairly close to the center of the wall/room in relation to idea angles from the seating position. Also, should I be concerned about 24"x24" to the center of the speaker for the rears in the corner of the room? Am I confusing this whole ordeal with sub placement and lower frequencies which aren't necessarily important with the atmos channels?

Ignore the excess dotted lines, was thinking about contracting out the wire work but will be going in my sauna attic to do it myself.

View attachment 37183
Off the top...you have some margin to work with so you don't have to be totally precise on placement.

My space is really funky...no way to keep everything lined up with the L&R. I went 30" off the wall to center of the speaker ...the key is the seating ideally should be in the center of the 4 overhead speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Your layout looks fine to me. Having the ceiling speakers just outside the outside seats, is a good idea I think, as you don't want to localize to them. That is similar to my layout, but I have a somewhat bigger room. It is fine..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis