C

coloradoxc

Enthusiast
Hello, can I get some feedback from anyone that has had experience with Pyle. I have been periodically searching for a new stereo reciever that has pre-outs/sub output and at least 200 watts per channel. Parts-express had the Pyle's PD1000 on sale for $188.99. There was one review on that website saying that the sound quality was poor, but I wouldn't mind some more feedback. Thanks.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hello, can I get some feedback from anyone that has had experience with Pyle. I have been periodically searching for a new stereo reciever that has pre-outs/sub output and at least 200 watts per channel. Parts-express had the Pyle's PD1000 on sale for $188.99. There was one review on that website saying that the sound quality was poor, but I wouldn't mind some more feedback. Thanks.

If that piece of junk could turn out 50 watts RMS per channel 20Hz-20Khz I'd be shocked.

The Insignia stereo receivers sold at Best Buy cost half as much as that Pyle of Shiitake (sorry mushroom lovers) and would have a better chance of achieving their specified output.

However, it's widely known that most people don't understand the co-relation between wattage and its use with speakers. The important question here: What make/model speakers do you have? You'll likely be surprised to know you won't need as much wattage as you think you do.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I tracked back through your posts and see you have some Bose speakers. Unfortunately Bose doesn't disclose the speaker's sensitivity. I would guess it to be around 90dB 1 watt/ 1 meter. This means that the speakers can achieve 90 decibels of output with 1 watt at a distance of 1 meter. For every increase in 3 decibels the wattage must double. To achieve 93dB the wattage would need to be 2 watts, 96 dB would require 4 watts, 99dB would require 8 watts, 102dB would require 16 watts, 105dB - 32 watts, 108dB - 64 watts, 111dB - 128 watts. Realistically your speakers won't be needing that much power on a constant basis, otherwise you'd damage your hearing. A receiver rated 100 watts per channel may have peak outputs up to 150 watts or more for a particular channel for headroom.

Granted you have two pair of speakers connected to the same Yamaha receiver at present, so the output will be diminished for two reasons. You are trying to divide the power for 1 pair of speakers among 2 pair and the combined impedance is halved making the amplifier work harder to achieve the same output level of power. Your efficiency is effectively 1/4 of what it would be with just one pair of speakers connected to the receiver. The receiver you have, and most other stereo receivers, have those A and B speaker connections for the benefit of having two pair of speakers connected, but not to run simultaneously. Because stereo receivers like yours are not Quadrophonic (receivers from the 70's that actually had 4 dedicated channels) they are not meant to power more than a pair of speakers at any particular time. That doesn't mean it can't power 2 pair of speakers, it just means it will perform poorly when asked to do it.

Your other option is to get a multichannel home theater receiver. Most modern home theater receivers have 5-7 on board dedicated channels of equal power and have a sound mode called 5 stereo or 7 stereo. I would suggest looking into a budget home theater receiver for what you have.

Since you expressed interest in making some subwoofers and using a large power amp to drive them I'd suggest looking for a multichannel receiver with preouts like the Marantz receivers offered on Accessories4less.com. The refurbished models offer a good value. If HDMI isn't required and you want to save even more money, then keep an eye on ebay for a used Pioneer VSX-815 or VSX-816. They are inexpensive receivers with respectable power output to sufficiently drive your Bose speakers and they have preouts.

C

coloradoxc

Enthusiast
what about the Marantz ZR6001/SR5600 Receiver 90w X 7ch Home Theater Surround.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
what about the Marantz ZR6001/SR5600 Receiver 90w X 7ch Home Theater Surround.

That would work much better than the Pyle o' Junk. If you can stretch a bit further I'd look at the SR4003 on there. It has HDMI and will handle HDMI audio over HDMI as well.

The Onkyo TX-SR607 has 2 subwoofer preouts and is similarly priced to the Marantz SR5600. Again, the Onkyo has HDMI connectivity and offers more features than either the SR4003 or SR5600.

In terms of on board power, I think the SR5600 will probably have a slight edge, though I don't think it would be a big enough difference to notice.

C

coloradoxc

Enthusiast
Thanks a lot Seth. I have had good experience buying other factory refurbished products. Thanks for the website you posted and the clarification on some details and information on various receivers. Cheers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks a lot Seth. I have had good experience buying other factory refurbished products. Thanks for the website you posted and the clarification on some details and information on various receivers. Cheers.
No problem, I just wanted to get you on the right path.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis