PW-2100 Correct Hook-up Help request

S

Snarl

Audioholic
I currently have a new Paradigm PW-2100 Sub that I'm using to supplement my Paradigm Monitor 11 mains and run through a Denon AVR-3805 (CC-370's and ADP-370's soon to be added). I'm very pleased with the Sub however I'm confused about proper hook-up and as such I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

1) Currently I run a Single RCA Cable from the receiver's Sub Out. This Single RCA Cable is now hooked up to the PW-2100 through an RCA Y-Cable to both the L and R Low Level Inputs, this is because the manual appears to indicate this may be a preffered method, is this in fact the case ? or should I run the single RCA Cable to the R Low Level Input (LFE-In/Sub-In) only ?

2) Currently I run my Monitor 11's as Small, the Receiver has the crossover set for 60Hz and I have the Sub's cross over set to 150Hz in the belief that this will let the Reciever manage the Bass and not "Double-up" with the Sub's built in filter i.e. the Subs filter is now out of the equation as the recievers allowed signal will not be over 60Hz and thus not filtered a second time by the sub. Is this in fac true and is the Sub's Filter now in effect "off" ?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

D

dloweman

Audioholic
I think the way you have it set up now is correct. the y cable is the preferred but not mandatory way, but if you have the cable then why not. A 60 crossover sounds right for the monitor 11's. Enjoy the setup

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
sounds like you have everything setup correctly and I bet it sounds amazing with those paradigm speakers, soooooo jelous, it'll be ok though, only a few more weeks and I'll have my paradigm system as well

S

Snarl

Audioholic
Spiffyfast Looking at your System Spec above you'll be rockin', I've heard the 7's and they're an awesome speaker IMHO

I'm considering a pair of 7's instead of the ADP-370's for surrounds, I realize the ADP's are better for HT but I listen to a little more music so I'm thinking of adding the 7's instead (As I said above their sound was exceptional) have you thought about going that route ? money wise it's almost equal.

Just Curious :)

Last edited:
Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Snarl said:
Spiffyfast Looking at your System Spec above you'll be rockin', I've heard the 7's and they're an awesome speaker IMHO

I'm considering a pair of 7's instead of the ADP-370's for surrounds, I realize the ADP's are better for HT but I listen to a little more music so I'm thinking of adding the 7's instead (As I said above their sound was exceptional) have you thought about going that route ? money wise it's almost equal.

Just Curious :)
actually I didn't even think about that, they quoted me $700 for the ADP-370's and the monitor 7's at $750, thats kind of a tough decision....I dont know why i never thought of it...but i do watch alot more movies than listen to multi channel audio, but I like action and sci-fi movies, so maybe floor standers for surrounds could be a good option since theyll have a lower frequency response....more decisions.....

D

dloweman

Audioholic
If you are thinking about going with the monitor 7's for surrounds, why wouldn't you just go with the minimonitors with a stand, same tweeter and will do the job for surrounds for how much they are actually used. I have the mon 7's, cc370 and use the titans (bookshelves from paradigms performance line incase you don't know) as surrounds and honestly they do a great job. Either way, you will love the paradigms. Just another option.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
dloweman said:
If you are thinking about going with the monitor 7's for surrounds, why wouldn't you just go with the minimonitors with a stand, same tweeter and will do the job for surrounds for how much they are actually used. I have the mon 7's, cc370 and use the titans (bookshelves from paradigms performance line incase you don't know) as surrounds and honestly they do a great job. Either way, you will love the paradigms. Just another option.
speakers on stands scare me in the enviroment I'm in, this system is going in my room at the fraternity house where I have parties all the time, ppl dancing and being drunk, too easy to get knocked over, but were getting off topic, dont wanna hijack the thread

S

Snarl

Audioholic
dloweman said:
A good point dloweman, I'm still reading up on the Dipole/Bipole/Monopole thing so it'll be a few months before I decide (It'll take a least that long to get the Cash). The advantage of the 7's over the minimonitors in my mind was the "no stands required" issue. A good set of Stands plus the bookshelf speakers and the price starts to creep up again. Oh well decisions, decisions... it's a good job I have lot's of time before I have to make up my mind.

spiffyfast said:
actually I didn't even think about that, they quoted me $700 for the ADP-370's and the monitor 7's at $750, thats kind of a tough decision....I dont know why i never thought of it...but i do watch alot more movies than listen to multi channel audio, but I like action and sci-fi movies, so maybe floor standers for surrounds could be a good option since theyll have a lower frequency response....more decisions.....
Don't forget that for movies the ADP-370's may be the best choice, I'm more like 60% Music/40% Movies so thats the only reason I'm having second thoughts however I'm still firmly undecided :) with regards to the lower frequency response your Sub will take care of that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis