Putting a Sound system in my Food Truck

Deli Volv

Deli Volv

Audiophyte
Hey! I am brand new to building speaker systems, so I have some pretty general questions I hope to be helped with.

I want to put a subwoofer with 4 mountable speakers; 2 inside the truck and 2 outside. My question is do I need separate amps for the the subwoofer and the speakers, or do I have to find a specific amp that has (2 channels?) I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to wire this. I imagine once I understand the logistics it should be super simple, though.

Also, when it says it's a 2000 Watt amp or w/e, how many watts does it actually use, because I'm running on a 30 amp breaker, and 2000 would be insane, more than my oven uses.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
amps = 2000W / (1 × 120V) = 16.667A
You are using ac right? Generator? Or do you need a 12 volt system like for a car?

If 12v car amp most 4 channel amps can bridge 2 of the channels into one making it a 3 channel amp. Left right and sub.

For 120v systems most traditional subs have built in amps or any 3 channel amp should work.

Do u already have the speakers and stereo? What are you planning to use?

Deli Volv

Deli Volv

Audiophyte
It'd be on 110/120v outlets.

No I don't have a system yet; was looking at these (-spaces) (h ttps: //www .amazon. com/dp/B0071I0Q5S/?coliid=IQH0R2LHFYGAE&colid=3CJ709SQSRINK&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it)

So I'm just looking for a 3 channel amp, and any subwoofer with box to match? Plug them together and go?

Deli Volv

Deli Volv

Audiophyte
Also was looking at this: https: //www. amazon.com/dp/B019Z3R582/?coliid=I2MU26HNHQ2ZBD&colid=3CJ709SQSRINK&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

At 1600 watts, we're talking a very substantial impact on my total power. I guess I won't ever use it at full blast.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
So thats a powered subwoofer for a car. It could be used with a home audio receiver (120v) tho for your application. It wont need an amp since it has one built in, but it will need a receiver to send music to it. Its also gonna give you base only, you'll still need speakers for the midrange and high frequencies. Is this what you are wanting? Separate subs and speakers? If it were me I'd buy a basic receiver built for a home audio. Look for one that has A/B zones so you can use 4 speakers with it in stereo mode. Modern receivers will have a pre-out to plug your sub into. Youll use rca style cables to go from receiver to sub or subs if you want multiples. You could then hook up the other speakers to the receiver using normal speaker wire.

Whats your source for music? Some receivers have bluetooth so you can stream from your phone. Or do you have media on something else?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Ok wait Im leading you down the wrong path a bit. Those subs are looking for a 12vdc input. Those wont work for you. You'll need something AC based like you would put in a house.

Deli Volv

Deli Volv

Audiophyte
Okay, so if I get any sub enclosure and speakers, I can hook it up to an amplifier with 110v outlet, 3 channels, and receiver?

So if I got this... https ://www. amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Audio-Power-Amplifier/dp/B01LXS36BT/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1537546186&sr=1-6&keywords=home+amplifier

and this https ://www. amazon.com/Kicker-Profile-Subwoofer-Enclosure-44TCWC104/dp/B01MY6O73I/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1537546103&sr=8-10&keywords=subwoofer+thin

I could put them together with the speakers I mentioned?

Last edited:
D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
You could go that route, but the receiver you get will have built in amps for the non sub speakers which should be powerful enough unless you are really wanting to rock the place.

For the subs you have two options from that point. You can get subs that have built in amplifiers (which is the norm for home audio types) and connect them to the sub preout on the receiver or you could get non powered subs (passive subs) and hook them up to an amp that is also hooked up to the receiver through sub pre out.

Deli Volv

Deli Volv

Audiophyte
So the sub needs its own amplifier, separate from the speakers?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Maybe. The picture shows 220v, but the description shows 110v. I'd get clarification on that, but if it works on 110 then yes it should work.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm really unclear, as to whether this system is going to be powered by a generator, or plugged into the AC power grid only when the vehicle is static.

If the application is generator then there is a really serious discussion to be had, before your purchases are toast. In general AC from a motor driven generator is no way comparable to the AC mains.

Deli Volv

Deli Volv

Audiophyte
Hey! This system will be hooked to a 110 outlet on a 30 amp breaker box, powered by my inverter generator

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey! This system will be hooked to a 110 outlet on a 30 amp breaker box, powered by my inverter generator
If it has a good inverter you should be OK, as long as it is well regulated. If it were me though I would look at the waveform on a scope of any generator before hooking it up to any unit with delicate microprocessors.

Deli Volv

Deli Volv

Audiophyte
So this is the system I put together:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036CGZEE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXS36BT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071I0Q5S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now my question is, I have to mount my subwoofer on the ceiling; I know it's not ideal, but I need all the wall space and floorspace I can get in my little truck, plus I don't want electronics on my floor which regularly gets doused in water or even oil, my question is, would it be better to face the subwoofer towards the ceiling, or towards the ground? Also, any mounting advice?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis