S

satchmo

Audiophyte
Newbie here, could not find much info on this. Is purchasing expensive electronics online safe? I am a traditionalist, so I normally go to the local, non-chain, hifi store. Is it worth purchasing on line from a distributer who sells for less. I realize that most companies will not recognize any warranty. I noticed one yesterday who offered a 3 year warranty. What's up with that?

Anyone here purchase online please comment.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, the best thing to do for any audio equipment is to listen to it yourself and decide if you like it or not (except for cables). As you found, many online sellers are NOT authorized dealers. That said, there ARE some authorized dealers online that will allow you to take advantage of your manufacturer's warranty. If you can get a good price from an online authorized dealer, then you should be in good shape. If you have a specific place you're wondering about, you could maybe call the manufacturer and ask about their record, as well as check up with the BBB and other such places.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
A lot of online dealers also offer 3rd party warranties. That is, a company like Philips will fix your product, no matter who made the product, if you give them some cash up front. As you may be aware of, extended warranties are one of the most profitable parts of a business and that is what you are buying. A new warranty because the manufacturer doesn't allow online sales of their product.

Would I do it? Probably not on many items. But, you can get some tremendous deals on older equipment that is outside of a warranty period anyway. eBay and audiogon.com are great places to find used gear. But, brand new stuff may cost less online, but then end up costing you hundreds of dollars of your time and headaches to go along with it if you have a problem.

But it depends... A projector only weighs 10-20 pounds and is not that difficult to mail in for warranty work via UPS. A plasma weighs 100 pounds and is always a pain to box up and send in if there is a problem. Likewise, a good A/V receiver is a real pain in the neck to send in if there is a problem. So, I would never buy those items online. Plasmas are similarly priced at Best Buy vs. online anyway. Receivers... well, receivers can save you hundreds online, but the warranties are questionable for sure. If you are looking online and see a warranty and it looks good, then ask about how receiver problems are dealt with and feel free to ask a lot of questions to see how well they answer. Then decide if you are comfortable or not.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
I would always support the local guy. The money that you spend with him creates local jobs, pays taxes that supports the local schools that educate your children, schools require teachers, who inturn are customers that buy from you. Stop buying from the local guy and you might as well quit your own day job.

But when local is not an option, there are a few "online" firms that are carry over from the old days of mailorder audio companies.

J&R Musicworld and Crutchfield are two that come to mind.

J&R and Crutchfield are pretty specific about what they can/can't sell online or offer mailorder to remote customers (an example J&R will only ship Polk LSi 15's into the North East). Their mailorder products are just the tip of the iceberg of what is on the market, but they are good sources when you just don't have a local vendor.

Check the manufacturer's websites to confirm the seller is authorized to sell the product without restrictions or limitations, and never buy a product without a manufacturer's warranty.

aspaceintime

aspaceintime

Audioholic
my take...

I bought my Yamaha 2500 on line, save a few 100 $$ and bought the warranty offered by the dealer. So far, so good. This web site provided me so much info on the 2500, after all 300 $ is 300 $... :)

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Has anyone had experiences with the online dealers like Axiom or Aperion? Axiom gets very good reviews for the most part, but I'm a little sceptical when I run my mouse over the Axiom link on most audiophile web site manufacturing lists, Axiom's is an affiliate program link and not a direct link to the manufacturer (i.e. www.miragespeakers.com) although it will take you directly to www.axiomaudio.com after it logs your click through. This means they are getting paid for leads. This in itself doesn't mean they are bad products, it just bothers me. Maybe I'm over skeptical because I am in the Marketing trade.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting.

So, Axiom is made by Mirage? That's new to me but I learn something every day.

Actually, Mirage is a division of API (Audio Products International) out of Canada. Mirage, along with Energy and Athena are all owned by API. Sound Dynamics from several years ago was also an API baby.

Now, Axiom is a division of Mirage?

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Sorry Mark, I didn't mean to confuse you. No, Axiom is not a owned by API. I was just using Mirage's URL as an example of a direct MFG link as opposed to Axiom's affiliate url. If you go to any article, even on this site, that refers to Axiom's web site, run your mouse over the link and you will see that it is an affiliate program URL used to track leads for commission purposes. Even on the Manufacturing Lists most audiophile sites have signed up for this affiliate program with Axiom. Again I must say I have no idea how good Axiom's products are. I've never heard them and they look good. I hope I cleared that up.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Another thread....

satchmo said:
Newbie here, could not find much info on this. Is purchasing expensive electronics online safe? I am a traditionalist, so I normally go to the local, non-chain, hifi store. Is it worth purchasing on line from a distributer who sells for less. I realize that most companies will not recognize any warranty. I noticed one yesterday who offered a 3 year warranty. What's up with that?

Anyone here purchase online please comment.
Satch,

Check out this thread:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=10271

There is a good discussion here on the topic with some useful information based on several people who have had experiences (both good and bad) with purchasing online.

My personal view is that it depends on what you're buying. When you buy online you are certainly taking a chance that your getting warranty work done will be challenging if not impossible. I bought most of my equipment at an authorized local shop and even though I could have paid less online I like the security of knowing if anything goes wrong I will get a quick resolution. It has already happened on a couple occasions.

I may buy a set of headphones or a phono cartridge online...but not a top AVR, front speakers or HDTV. Everything in between I would have to soul search...

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Bird said:
Has anyone had experiences with the online dealers like Axiom or Aperion? Axiom gets very good reviews for the most part, but I'm a little sceptical when I run my mouse over the Axiom link on most audiophile web site manufacturing lists, Axiom's is an affiliate program link and not a direct link to the manufacturer (i.e. www.miragespeakers.com) although it will take you directly to www.axiomaudio.com after it logs your click through. This means they are getting paid for leads. This in itself doesn't mean they are bad products, it just bothers me. Maybe I'm over skeptical because I am in the Marketing trade.
Are you looking "online" to supplement the choices offered by local vendors?

Then by all means check out the Axiom's. Yes, the get good reviews, even from the printed audio rags (stereophile et al). It is the printed reviews that get my attention, more than somebody spouting off on a forum.

I recommended the Axiom's to a friend on a poor man's budget that was seeking a clean/bright speaker that was an alternative to the horn found in the Klipsch. The metal tweeter in the Axiom is going to give you a bright/forward sound, unlike the silk tweeter in my Polk LSi's which I would describe as sweet/mellow. The drawback to the silk tweeters IMHO is that some flutes and high pitched piano and violins can become a bit husky, where as the metal tweeters can be a bit shrill on those same instruments. But in an accoustically dead room, the metal tweeter is often a better speaker than the silk tweeter.

In other words, what do your ears like?

The one argument that is made in favor of purely online companies is that they eliminate the middleman, thus "saving the buyer some $". But, the middleman is important in that he often does most of the advertising for the manufacturer and can increase the products exposure, thus increasing sales and in turn increasing profits through greater sales and manufacturing effeciencies.

Personally, I would always try to buy locally. But there are times (and personal tastes) that can dictate otherwise.

If buying online, first rule, is ignore somebody's good experience. Check the vendor out yourself. Really check them out. Does the manufacturer (vendor) have a physical place of business that they would allow you to visit? Companies that claim they only sell online and are not setup for over the counter sales (or allow visitors to their plant) are often working out of a bedroom of their house and are just a broker handling the sale for another firm.

I buy from several large industrial companies. Their website has pretty pictures of their buildings etc. Yes, they claim they do not conduct OTC sales, and their product mix dictates that few customers would ever want to buy their products in person. But at the same time, the website shows pictures of the local Cub Scouts being given a tour of the warehouse. In otherwords, legitimate companies like to show off what they have, brokers working from their bedroom will not.

PS: The affiliate program is one cost that Axiom and other "online only" firms incur. You can do a google search and bypass the affiliate and go directly to the website www.axiom.com

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
PS: The affiliate program is one cost that Axiom and other "online only" firms incur. You can do a google search and bypass the affiliate and go directly to the website www.axiom.com
Or you can support our advertisers and click one of our Axiom banners and mention Audioholics when you place orders :rolleyes:

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
To answer the question about Axiom, I ordered a pair of M60's & they arrived w/o issue & superbly boxed I might add. Have had no problems with them. I recommended them to a friend & he ordered the HT package featuring the M50's,EP175,QS4's.............also no problems.

I'm skeptical by nature as well, but after reading a ton of reviews on Axiom products I was comfortable that, if there were any issues, Axiom would resolve them.

J

jimmit

Junior Audioholic
Getting back to the original question, another problem with purchasing online that wasn't mentioned is that of ending up with something other than what you paid for. I've read a fair amount of consumer feedback regarding online purchases and learned that many of these unauthorized dealers will, after charging your credit card, send you used and/or damaged units, defective units, counterfeit units and units which have had the serial numbers obliterated. Then you are faced with the hassle of dealing with the dealer's often rude "customer service" people, sending the unit back, complaining to the BBB, State's Attorneys Office, etc., waiting for another unit, canceling the order, dealing with the credit card company, etc., etc.

When you buy from an online unauthorized dealer, you don't always know what you're getting. That some folks had a good experience buying from an unauthorized dealer notwithstanding, I would no more purchase audio gear from an online unauthorized dealer than I would purchase a "Rolex" watch from a guy on a street corner.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
jimmit said:
I would no more purchase audio gear from an online unauthorized dealer than I would purchase a "Rolex" watch from a guy on a street corner.
You wouldn't buy a watch from my sister's boyfriend?

Shame on you.

You can trust me, it really is a "Rolax" watch.

Actually, he is trying to sell some land in New Orleans. He claims it is above sealevel and has never flooded.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis