purchase advice... PLEASE

C

campbepr

Audiophyte
I have perused all the relavent threads I can find, and I have stalked all the reviews out there, and I have gone to as many stores as I can to hear the differences, but I still don't have a good feel for what I want... So, can anyone give me some feel between the options I have listed here, or give me 1 (one) other option to look at in the same price range.

I have a pretty small (12x18) viewing room for our main A/V location. We have a Sony KDF-E50A10 LCD tv, and want to drive the audio in surround, as well as a second room with separate source, and not have to install a second amp. The main thing we will be listening to is movies, with some music, but do not need impeccable sound reproduction. Good is acceptable. I have an external XM receiver that will plug into the system, so do not need XM Ready. I do have an ipod I want to also be able to plug in, and control if possible. I will be using a cd player and a dvd player, along with an XBOX (not 360), a VCR, and the digital cable box. The XBOX, DVD and cable box all have component out, but can also be composite, or S-video if necessary. I am interested in upconversion of video to component so switching is easier. I am looking for ease of setup/use, especially for my technology resistent wife and young children. The simpler the button pushing to play a DVD or get the Disney channel, the better.

I need to purchase a receiver and a speaker set. I have the speakers for the second room/zone (ok older Infinity bookshelf speakers). The five receivers I have narrowed it down to are:
Yamaha RX-V659
Denon AVR 1906
Onkyo TX-SR603X
Harman Kardon AVR 340
Harman Kardon AVR 335

The HTIB speakers I have narrowed it down to are:
Infinity TSS450 or TSS750
Harman Kardon HKTS 14 or 7
Onkyo SKS-HT530 or HT240

5.1 is the minimum, do not really feel like I need 7.1, unless I can get it for the same price...

I hope that some folks out there can give me their 2 cents. I know that I am not looking at top of the line stuff, but total price between the receiver and the speakers needs to run in the $600 to $800 range, before shipping...

Thanks in advance!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"...want to drive the audio in surround, as well as a second room with separate source, and not have to install a second amp."

For this, you will need a receiver with seven amplifier channels and the ability to reassign two of those amps to a second zone. You'll be using the receiver to channel a separate source (most likely analog) to that second zone. This is not the same as an A/B speaker selector.

You've got quite a list of I/O (Input/Output) requirements listed here. Make a list of all the I/O you need and start crossing off the ones that don't make the cut. That should narrow the list down considerably. Either that, or it will cause you to realize you need to up your receiver budget for the needed I/O alone. Going up the price range in receiver lines doesn't necessarily add more power, but adds more features. Also, not all receivers upconvert equally. Read carefully.

Last edited:
Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
First, in my opinion, "top of the line" is similar to searching for the Holy Grail...it is unatainable and everyone has their own version of what the Grail is so "forget about it".
Second, do the best you can in the budget you have to work with and what is pleasing to your ears...in the long run that is the most important.

I have the RX-V659 and love it for the power, sound and features. I can not speak for or against any of the other brands you mention but generally all gear in the same price range is similar. There are always differences but if you look at the specs they are all close...you will not get a $2000 receiver for $500 when buying new retail.
The receivers you mention are all good receivers in that range. Listen to them and buy the one you like the most for whatever your reasons.

That leaves very little for speakers and you are really hurting yourself here. Several hundred dollars for a surround system buys speakers that do nothing particularly well and in the long run you will be disapointed.
If it were me I would put the majority of money, say $500, into the speakers...which still buys very little but a bit more quality...and lower your receiver to a $300 model...but doubt you will get seperate zone control for this price.

Alternatively buy the $500 range receiver and spend the rest on a good pair of "front" speakers buying the rest when money allows...you can always find some "cheap" speakers you can beg, borrow or steal for "surround" until you can buy what you want.
A decent quality surround system will cost around $1000 for speakers alone.
Here is an example of what my speaker system cost and it is very modest but sounds great to me: Paradigm/Titans/front $220, Atoms/surround $200, CC170/center $189, PDR-12/sub $325...total around $935 excluding tax and wires if needed.

You may want to consider this Paradigm Cinema system. I was surprised at the sound and the cost...around $500 ish.
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/PReviews/Paradigm/SoundVision/SV_Cinema_CC_PDR8.pdf

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HT options

I think that you have several good options on your receiver list including the Yamaha.

Concerning the speakers, I would avoid the HTIB systems if at all possible. The onix X-LS speakers from av123.com will make a great entry level bookshelf system for $200/pair or $700 for a 5.1 system. If that is too much, buy the fronts and sub and add the other channels later.

For a little less, the Athena Audition series and Bic Venturi line are available for about $100 / pair and will outperform most small satellite speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis