Pulling Audio out of Video Coax????

T

Trick

Audiophyte
Ok, this is not going to initially be a top of the line stereo system, but I want to get something functional for now.

Here's my situation -

On my back patio, around my pool, I have a small TV under the porch. Last summer was the first in the house so that worked for a short period of time. However, I now want more than just TV speaker sound and will eventually continue to upgrade to a full on outdoor stereo system.

I just ran into a really good deal on two outdoor speakers that I couldn't pass up. The problem is that I don't have a way to hook them up.

As it stands, my "music" source for the time being is my satellite receiver. When we want to listen to something, we just tune into Sirius and let that play. The only problem is the receiver is in an upstairs bedroom and the only thing running from it to the TV is coax. I use my RF remote to change channels.

What I want to do is run the sat RF input into something that can "pull out" the audio and input them into a small stereo receiver. Does anyone know of a way to do this? I need a receiver to drive the speakers, but I need a way to pull the audio out of the cable before it goes into the TV because the TV is an older model with nothing but a Coax input.

Thanks for any and all help.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know of a device, but if it exists it will only produce mono sound, not stereo. You could just make a set of your own rca cables to run alongside the coax. You could buy the parts to do it from RadioShack.

T

Trick

Audiophyte
That's what I thought about doing, but I don't know if I can get access to run the cables from the receiver all the way to the outdoor TV. I'll have to check to see tomorrow.

Thanks for the response!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Actually, it's RF, not video. Look at it this way.

Trick said:
What I want to do is run the sat RF input into something that can "pull out" the audio and input them into a small stereo receiver.
For all intents and purposes, we can look at that "sat RF" feed as the result of being hooked up to a TV or an FM antenna on the roof. In this case it's a satellite antenna. It's the same for FM, TV or satellite, just with different frequencies.

You already know can't just hook up the antenna to the audio inputs. You already know that to get the audio from the RF, you need something between the amplifier* and the antenna. What is it? What would you need in order to convert RF into audio in order to feed an audio amplifier?

* I specifically didn't say receiver because you will be feeding your audio into an aux input. Bigger hint. What terminals do you connect the antenna to on the receiver?

Last edited:
T

Trick

Audiophyte
A VCR? Something that will convert the RF A/V into RCA A/V feeds out?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Close, very close. Good thinking!

Trick said:
A VCR? Something that will convert the RF A/V into RCA A/V feeds out?
Had we been taliking about OTA television then this would be exactly correct. Yu would use the tuner in the VCR to tune in the video and audio and feed it to your amp and TV.

the only difference is that we're dealing with satellite transmissions which are a totally different frequency and means of transmissoin. You need a tuner capable of taking that signal, tuning in on a station, and converting that into video and audio.

You need a sat TV box to do what you want.

But, you did a great job of picking up on the conecpt. Be proud. Not everyone does. :)

A

audiohead01

Enthusiast
I have Direct tv and the receivers have seperate audio outputs on them, would that be the case with yours ?
I run my audio and video to my receiver first.
You could use the audio out to any receiver for sound to get you started

now that I read again.
If I am along with your thinking

you can run the coax to the tv and also use audio out for sound. this way tv speakers and stereo will work.
going out side you can extend if possible the audio out connections My receivers have 2 sets of audio out and they are old receivers

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I hace comcast cable.

Same deal but with a cable coming into the house from a pole instead of from a dish. The cable goes to a tuner box supplied by Comcast, from which I select the station I want to view. The box then provides a video and audio outputs, both digital (toslink) and analog audio (red/white jacks).

I connect the analog audio to an amplifier and the video (component in this case) to my TV. I cound connect the toslink to a HT receiver, but the TV is in a room wit honly a stereo amp.

Without going through that box (essentially a tuner specifically for my provider) supplied by my service provider, I don't get squat.

Unless you want to run the audio feeds from the outputs of the sat TV box upstairs and watch what they are watching, you need a sat TV box in order to tune in your own channels and provide the audio (and video) you want.

T

Trick

Audiophyte
markw said:
Had we been taliking about OTA television then this would be exactly correct. Yu would use the tuner in the VCR to tune in the video and audio and feed it to your amp and TV.

the only difference is that we're dealing with satellite transmissions which are a totally different frequency and means of transmissoin. You need a tuner capable of taking that signal, tuning in on a station, and converting that into video and audio.

You need a sat TV box to do what you want.

But, you did a great job of picking up on the conecpt. Be proud. Not everyone does. :)
I understand that Sat RF is different, but what I'm talking about is the RF output of my satellite receiver which is modulated onto a UHF carrier (Ch 73 I think). This should be the same thing as OTA just at a higher frequency. It is not satellite (1.2GHz and not a digital signal).

So would a VCR work in this case? Can a VCR have a RF input and then send the audio out of the back via the RCA outputs for audio?

T

Trick

Audiophyte
audiohead01 said:
I have Direct tv and the receivers have seperate audio outputs on them, would that be the case with yours ?
I run my audio and video to my receiver first.
You could use the audio out to any receiver for sound to get you started

now that I read again.
If I am along with your thinking

you can run the coax to the tv and also use audio out for sound. this way tv speakers and stereo will work.
going out side you can extend if possible the audio out connections My receivers have 2 sets of audio out and they are old receivers
That's what I would like to do, but I don't have audio RCA outputs on the TV. Keep in mind, the receiver with the RCA audio outputs on it is upstairs in a game room. There is no way for me to run anything out of the receiver all the way to the back porch besides the existing coax cable run.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I think I see where you're going with this.

Trick said:
I understand that Sat RF is different, but what I'm talking about is the RF output of my satellite receiver which is modulated onto a UHF carrier (Ch 73 I think). This should be the same thing as OTA just at a higher frequency. It is not satellite (1.2GHz and not a digital signal).

So would a VCR work in this case? Can a VCR have a RF input and then send the audio out of the back via the RCA outputs for audio?
Well, if the sat box outpuits to a normal OTA broadcast channel you should be able to simply run one 75 ohm coax to the other room and plug it into the rf input of the VCR, tune it to the needed channel and you should be good to go. You can take the audio from the red/white outputs of the VCR into the amp. It may or may not be stereo but it'll most like be a heckuva lot better than the TV speaker. :D

Again, you'll be limited to whatever the box is currentl;y tuned to. If that's not a problem, I'd say you found a solution! Good Going.

T

Trick

Audiophyte
Thanks for the help - I may have to try that out to see if that's the case. Is there another box that can do this for me without having to use an actual VCR? This is going to be an outside setup and don't want to replace a VCR every 6 months or so.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Trick said:
Is there another box that can do this for me without having to use an actual VCR?
Yeah, a sat TV box. (just havin sine fun wid ya).

Actually, no but youi might want to get hols d of a TV with audio outs. That way you can simply run the 75 ohm cable directly to that, take tghe audio out from that, and obviate the need for a VCR.

Besides, you can fikdVCR's at flea markets for $10 - $15 or less. Remember, you don't need the VCR, the tuner and they NEVER* break.

* well, rarely.

majorloser

majorloser

I think I see where you're going

How about an inexpensive AM/FM/TV radio that can then be connected to an amp? Or maybe a "boombox" that has TV reception that could also supply the power for the speakers? Hook the coax line into the boombox for the signal. This way you could pick up the OTA (over-the-air) television signal you already have available. Might even be able to find an inexpensive shelf system with an OTA TV tuner.

Just a thought.......

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
It would take some special gear, but...

I've done something similar a couple different ways - actually, the same way, but with different equipment:

Many years ago, I set up a "pirate" radio station for my daughter (Hope the statute of limitations has run out. Don't tell the FCC;) ). I connected left/right audio to an FM modulator and tuned it to a clear frequency and she was able to broadcast in stereo for several blocks. I wouldn't suggest doing the same thing, but if you connect the output of the modulator to the coax instead of an antenna, you could use any FM tuner on the patio.

The other way was to use a channel 6 modulator (might be easier to find) connected as above. Most stereo receivers can tune low enough to get the channel 6 audio, which is just adjacent to the low end of the FM broadcast band.

Might take a little searching to find one of those units, but it could get you what you want.

T

Trick

Audiophyte
I thought about the "radio" station thing as well since I could probably get away with it where I am, but wanted to see if I could go wired first. Didn't know about the channel 6 mod though so I may take a look around to see what I can find. Thanks for the help!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Trick said:

Yes, if that VCR is capable of receiving that ch 73, or whichever channel it is down-converted to.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis