PSB Center Channel Question

I

IAmCanadian

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Hi all, I am trying to decide on a center channel speaker to go with my PSB stratus fronts. &nbsp;I can go the C5i, or the C6i for $200 more. &nbsp;I have heard the C5i, but no dealers have the C6i in stock, and if I were to order one I would have to put down a deposit, something I am wary to do before I hear one. &nbsp;My question to all of you is whether or not I need to move up to the somewhat bigger C6i model over the C5i. &nbsp;I am 80%HT/20%Music with a moderately sized room. &nbsp;Is there anything that I can be made aware of regarding the two speakers that would make my decision easier? &nbsp;Thanks for all the help.</font>

annunaki

annunaki

<font color='#000000'>What size are the drivers in your mains and surrounds? If they are the 6 1/2&quot; I would opt for the larger center as using the same drivers in each cabinet makes timbre matching that much more accurate (although there can still be discrepencies here). I do believe the C5i is now discontinued as well. It was not in our latest price sheet anyway from August 2003. The larger center with larger drivers is also going to be a bit more dynamic. To me the choice is definitely the C6i.</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
IAmCanadian : <font color='#000000'>Hi all, I am trying to decide on a center channel speaker to go with my PSB stratus fronts.  I can go the C5i, or the C6i for $200 more.  I have heard the C5i, but no dealers have the C6i in stock, and if I were to order one I would have to put down a deposit, something I am wary to do before I hear one.  My question to all of you is whether or not I need to move up to the somewhat bigger C6i model over the C5i.  I am 80%HT/20%Music with a moderately sized room.  Is there anything that I can be made aware of regarding the two speakers that would make my decision easier?  Thanks for all the help.</font>
<font color='#000000'>If your preference is HT, I'd go with the smaller C5i as most movies use the center channel for dialog only. You'd save $200 bucks and wouldn't have to order one at least. However, Music surround mixers sometimes put lead vocals, solo instruments, and bass and percussion in the center, and you'd want the best tonally matched center speaker you can get for that. With all these new 5.1 music mixes coming out on sacd and dvd-a, you may find your 80%/20% in favor of HT leveling out in the future. It's something to think about. How do you like the PSB stratus? I haven't heard them. I have the PSB image series.</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
annunaki : What size are the drivers in your mains and surrounds? If they are the 6 1/2&quot; I would opt for the larger center as using the same drivers in each cabinet makes timbre matching that much more accurate (although there can still be discrepencies here). I do believe the C5i is now discontinued as well. It was not in our latest price sheet anyway from August 2003. The larger center with larger drivers is also going to be a bit more dynamic. To me the choice is definitely the C6i.
  You sound like an audio dealer, and the dealer always wants us to buy the biggest and the best doesn't he?</font>

I

IAmCanadian

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Well guys I just found out the C5i has been discontinued for a while, and the dealer I was going to buy it off of decided to take the demo home, for keeps. I guess that makes the decision easier. Thanks for the posts btw
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
annunaki

annunaki

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
A. Vivaldi : <font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (annunaki @ Jan. 28 2004,17:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What size are the drivers in your mains and surrounds? If they are the 6 1/2&quot; I would opt for the larger center as using the same drivers in each cabinet makes timbre matching that much more accurate (although there can still be discrepencies here). I do believe the C5i is now discontinued as well. It was not in our latest price sheet anyway from August 2003. The larger center with larger drivers is also going to be a bit more dynamic. To me the choice is definitely the C6i.
  You sound like an audio dealer, and the dealer always wants us to buy the biggest and the best doesn't he?</font></td></tr></table>
<font color='#000000'>I am not your run of the mill 'sales guy'. I do not try to pressure people into buying some thing just because it is more money. I recommend products that would best benefit the customer, as well as try to educate when necessary. If you sell someone a more expensive product, just because it was more expensive, not explain the benefits of such product, the customer will most likely not be very happy with there purchase and never come back. I like to sell someone a product they will be happy with and make them a lifelong customer.

In this case I think our gentleman would best serve himself buy purchasing the larger center speaker. If, for any reason, the timbre matching alone. He may also benefit from a possible lower crossover point as well. The lower the subwoofer is crossed over the more it disappears from its location sonically.

If you were only kidding then please ignore this post.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis