H

Harrison20

Enthusiast
I use my ps3 as CD player, movie player. Will connecting it to a DAC improve the sound? Have to use optical cables for sound as my reciever is a little old and doesn't take audio over HDMI

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
DAC may improve your sound for CDs, but not for movies. What receiver? Unless it is a really inexpensive receiver, I'm going to say you'll have to get a pretty good DAC to sound significantly better than a decent receiver. For what you are going to spend on a nice DAC, you could already take a big chunk out of getting a newer receiver with HDMI, which WILL improve your audio for movies because you will be able to take advantage of the newer lossless audio formats.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
A good DAC may improve audio some. But, the rest of the gear matters. I mean, the PS3 already has a DAC internally, and it likely works decently, so to notice an improvement you will need to spend several hundred dollars on a good external DAC... At which point, as said above, you should probably just use the money for an A/V receiver which handles HDMI. Keep in mind that you still will need a good A/V receiver, speakers, etc. to get the best audio and if you feel your audio is lacking then it may not be fixed by the DAC, but something else in your setup.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis